Simple Shrimp Setup with DETAquarium

DETAquarium

Hey Shrimpspot!

I decided to setup two new shrimp tanks this past weekend, and would love to share the setup and progress going forward with you. Tell me your honest opinions, that is the only way to learn and improve on current techniques.

Hardware-

• (2) 17.1g Mr. Aqua Aquariums
  • (2) Micmol Aqua Mini LEDs
  • (2) Eheim 2213 Canister Filters
  • (2) 13mm SS Filter Guards
  • (2) Pyrex Petri Dishes

Substrate & Additives-

• (1) Controsoil Ex-Fine Black
  • (1) Controsoil Fine- Brown
  • Benibachi Mironekuton Powder- Under substrate
  • Glas-Garten Beta-Glucan- Under substrate
  • MK-Breed Z-Silver Powder- Middle of substrate
  • MK-Breed Golden Powder- Top of substate

Flora and Wood-

• (3) Bucephalandra Green Velvet
  • (5) Bucephalandra Red Sekadau Velvet
  • (8) 2x2 SS Mini Pellia
  • (6) Teddy Bear Cholla Wood

Not the best picture but it will have to do for now.

post-127-0-31165800-1428933634_thumb.jpg

Whats inside the canister? And do we really need to use canister as for filtration or can we just use a breeder sponge?

Some shrimp keepers in my country only use breeder sponge as filtration and for the caramic ring or bacteria media, they put it beneath the soil.

I like it a lot. What was your total cost for everything

I think I will leave this to your imagination:) Simple doesn't always mean cheap.

Whats inside the canister? And do we really need to use canister as for filtration or can we just use a breeder sponge?

Some shrimp keepers in my country only use breeder sponge as filtration and for the caramic ring or bacteria media, they put it beneath the soil.

I use what comes with the Eheim 2213 canister filter, a couple polishing pads but the majority is bio media. No, it is not necessary to use a canister filter by any means. I use canister filters because I love to maximize the amount of biological filtration. Most shrimp keepers use exactly what you mentioned primarily because its the most cost effective. Ideally throughout the years shrimp hobbyists, keepers, breeders, etc have used a cost vs. benefit analysis to figure out what filtration made the most sense, while not spending an arm and a leg.

Where did you get the teddy cholla wood?

www.theshrimptank.com Absolutely love this cholla wood. Its surprisingly larger than you would expect which is perfect. Shrimp feel safe, have a source of food, and it houses buce/anubias/etc extremely well without having to tie anything down. I strongly recommend this wood versus the more common.

very nice!!!

how do you like the LEDs?

Thank you HAN! I have tested one of the two LEDs for about 2-3 months. I am a big fan of them and their adjust-ability, my shrimp probably hated me during the beginning stages as I played with the settings so much, especially the thunderstorm feature. I really like how I can set the sunrise, mid-day, sunset, and night settings for the gradual changing effect. I think I really am sold on these LEDs going forward. 

Those are nice setups :) Where did you get the led lights if you dont mind me asking? they look pretty neat. :)

Thank you mbenjamin! At one point Marine Depot carried them, I have emailed my contact at Micmol directly to find some more information on distribution and retailers. You can go to their website: www.micmol.com to learn more about the product if interested.

Same. And Price?

Please see above answer.

I fount those lights on eBay and they are not cheap!

Ryeguy, I agree, I like to buy quality products that will last a long time. I always live by the motto, "You get what you pay for...." Simple doesn't always mean cheap.

• 2 weeks later...

ArtheLad, everything is going well, I need to take a couple pictures to update. Honestly I will shoot for 4 weeks, but ultimately it depends on the water parameters.

Hey DET,

I'm curious as to your proposed water change schedule for these first four weeks.  

Are you doing changes on any sort of schedule, or just watching parameters and doing a change if something looks out of whack?

BTW, I've been loving your youtube channel, vids are great and your voice is awesome.

The first week I did (2) 33% water changes. I plan to do the same the second week as well. The third and fourth week I will do (1) 25% water change. After the fourth week I will test my water parameters and adjust accordingly.

Thank you for the kind words, I am glad your enjoying my YouTube channel!

Almost 3 weeks since initial setup, added the following per aquarium:

• BorneoWild MineRock
  • (5) MK Breed Life Balls
  • (14) Borneowild Bee Balls

1st Week- Completed (2) 33% Water Changes

2nd Week- Completed (2) 25% Water Changes

3rd Week- Plan to Complete 1 25% Water Change

Here's an iPhone picture I took last night, lights were already dimming:

post-127-0-16000000-1430507255_thumb.jpg

What do those mine rock and bee balls do?

What they claim to do and what they actually do many will contest. BUT I use them as more of an insurance policy, or a peace of mind to myself. The minerock slowly releases minerals, nutrients, and trace elements into the water column to ensure the shrimp are receiving the proper nutrition for their overall health and molting. The bee balls essentially do the same thing, releasing minerals, aiding in molting, and improving water quality through extraction of odor and impurities. These aren't necessities but one of the top killers of shrimp are improper molting, this eases my mind a bit to ensure they are receiving more than enough to help in the molting process.

What they claim to do and what they actually do many will contest. BUT I use them as more of an insurance policy, or a peace of mind to myself. The minerock slowly releases minerals, nutrients, and trace elements into the water column to ensure the shrimp are receiving the proper nutrition for their overall health and molting. The bee balls essentially do the same thing, releasing minerals, aiding in molting, and improving water quality through extraction of odor and impurities. These aren't necessities but one of the top killers of shrimp are improper molting, this eases my mind a bit to ensure they are receiving more than enough to help in the molting process.

I totally agree with you that one of the top killers of shrimp are improper molting. As far as how well mineral balls worked for me, it didn't help at all. Not every shrimp was able to molt successfully. 

• 3 weeks later...

Small Update:

Tested Water Parameters for the first time May 20, results of both tanks:

Ammonia 0.0

Nitrites 0.0

Nitrates 10-20ppm

TDS 140

PH 6.2-6.4

GH 5-6

KH 0-1

Temp 72-74 F

I will perform (1) 40-50% Water Change and add shrimp May 27 (Not random, coming back from beach then)

Added the following to each of the aquariums:

• (10) Alder Cones
  • (1) Guava Leaf
  • (1) Indian Almond Leaf

• 3 weeks later...

Finally an update!  Here are some not so great photos I took this evening, the lights were already dimming. I will take one a bit brighter next update!

Added shrimp May 27:

• 50+ Taiwan Bees (Pandas, Shadow Pandas, Blue Bolt, Wine Red, and BKK)
  • 25-30 PRL Crystal Red Shrimp
  • 4 Tibee Shrimplets
  • 1 Berried OEBT

All these shrimp I had previously, I just transferred them from two of my aquariums.

PRL Tank

post-127-0-12400800-1433809667_thumb.jpgpost-127-0-42984600-1433809670_thumb.jpg

Taiwan Bee Tank

post-127-0-12013000-1433809677_thumb.jpgpost-127-0-09299300-1433809680_thumb.jpg

Beautiful.  When my 22 gal is finished cycling, I will see what you have available for sale.

Thank you! Sounds great.