The green fungus!

Lyana

Hi guys, I got some new shrimp today and one of them has the dreaded green fungus on its swimmers.

Has anyone treated this with success? I'm finding a lot of mixed reports online.

Also, I didn't once it until after I had added him to my colony, I fished him right back out but hope my others don't get it.

best to contact the seller, ask for 100% refund on the infected ones and remove them from you colony and move on.

there is no solution. many many many have tried a billion different methods. One of my mentors told me if his shrimp get this infection he will destroy the entire pond, drain it out, sterilize it and start again.

I had this happen in an order of shrimp last week.  Seller states that it is algae and it will turn brown and fall off.  This is after me freaking out and reading everything I could find.  I did not agree and was not willing to test his theory so I removed and destroyed it. Now I am just waiting for it to show up on others.

I hate that this happened to you! :(  Unfortunately it keeps popping up in imported shrimp.

However, I think I *may* have found a cure... at least in theory.  Problem is it has never been tested with shrimp, and to be brutally honest, may kill your infected shrimp.

BUT Your shrimp has no hope otherwise, and the knowledge gained from this experiment would help the shrimp community for anyone whom has further infections.

Are you game?

It is bad, and it will not turn brown and fall off.  This will spread and eventually kills the host, separate any infected shrimp and move on. If a seller told you it is algae and will "turn brown and fall off" they are lying on purpose.

The shrimp were imported. Unfortunately I didn't see it until right after putting the shrimp in my tank, so he was running around for about a minute before I noticed a bit of it.

Soothing, I'm willing to try a treatment on the infected shrimp. I'm just going to destroy it otherwise.

Lyana, my concern would be the small container that packaged the infected shrimp with other shrimp in the same shipment.  

I don't have any knowledge of how exactly this is transmitted, but it seems like the confined space would increase the possibility of infection to other hosts.

BTW, my 2-year old daughter LOVES your profile pic, just goes bonkers whenever she catches me reading your posts. :)

Aw! That made me smile :) kids are so cute. I have a 14 month old daughter.

Yeah, I didn't see any on the others but will keep a close die on them. One of them died over the night, my current blue dream rili colony is really hardy so far so hopefully they can fight it off.

The female new one is berried though, so keeping my fingers crossed everything turns out okay.

If those treatments work, then I would try those first.

I've been researching all morning to find possible cures.  Out of these JBL Fungol has had some success with shrimpers, (even though it is not advised on the label.)

From my research this year, the treatment that shows promise is a very risky one- and then it has only been tested on a handful of shrimp.  But that is still more than I thought since I wrote the previous post.  The controversial treatment?  Formalin, which is kind of like formaldehyde.  There has been some success with it used for other purposes also like white spot disease.  The amount to dose is in question though.  I know Quick Cure is a combination of formalin and malachite green, and may be the safest way to dose this treatment.

Bradley Imatur on face book came up with this treatment protocol.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qjxyeuq9hsm6n9y/Treatment%20Protocol%20For%20Green%20Parasite%20on%20RCS%20V1.0.pdf?dl=0

Also ms jinks is working on a treatment write up. Good luck.

would be cool if that worked but a quick read of the ingredients used I'm pretty sure salt dip and paraguard have been tried MANY MANY times.

but Lyana you should try it anyways. worst thing that can happen is shrimp passes anyways.

I had this happen in an order of shrimp last week.  Seller states that it is algae and it will turn brown and fall off.  This is after me freaking out and reading everything I could find.  I did not agree and was not willing to test his theory so I removed and destroyed it. Now I am just waiting for it to show up on others.

We probably got our shrimp from the same seller because I got the same answer when this happened to me a few weeks ago.  All the infected shrimp died.  I did dose with 1/2 dose ParaGuard for 10 days as a precaution and the problem hasn't shown up in any of the others.  I did get a refund for the 6 shrimp that died.

The babies that showed up shortly after introduction are doing well.

That is so shady, they are knowingly selling diseased shrimp. Its sad that unknowing and unsuspecting customer are buying these shrimp then possibly adding them to their existing healthy shrimp tanks and further spreading this diease. The first issue should be containment so it doesnt continue to infect and possibly spread through our US bred stock. And Eric are you referring to a certain RB?

I'm doing the paraguard treatment now because I have it. Will probably pick up some of the quick cure and try that as well. I'm not too worried about loosing one shrimp and might as well try and see what happens, but if any more of my sprimp get it I'm going to be pissed.

Just wondering why it's only on imports?

RB would be a yes for me.