Who has micro crabs for the best price?

I have purchased shrimp from Dave and Crystal at aquatic arts, very good customer service and pretty good quality. It looks like they have the best prices in them from any site I have found. I'm actually thinking about placing an order or their zebra thorn nerites.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Random question but are these guys shrimp and baby shrimp safe? 

I have several of these in a tank with snowball shrimp and I have seen one of the crabs kill a freshly molted adult shrimp on three different occasions. I have even seen one try to grab a shrimp that was passing by it. So as far as baby shrimp go, I don't know how safe they would be. I do know from experience that they are not safe with adult shrimp. I had them in my 20g long and witnessed it happening so I moved them from that tank (PRL tank) to my snowball tank which is a 5 gallon and saw it happening again. I'm moving them to a 1.5 planted nano where they can be by themselves.

Good info.  Are you sure those were micro crabs though?  I hear they only get to be roughly 1/2" full grown.

I have several of these in a tank with snowball shrimp and I have seen one of the crabs kill a freshly molted adult shrimp on three different occasions. I have even seen one try to grab a shrimp that was passing by it. So as far as baby shrimp go, I don't know how safe they would be. I do know from experience that they are not safe with adult shrimp. I had them in my 20g long and witnessed it happening so I moved them from that tank (PRL tank) to my snowball tank which is a 5 gallon and saw it happening again. I'm moving them to a 1.5 planted nano where they can be by themselves.

That's nuts. I decided against getting some anyway because I thought they liked to hide too much and were kind of boring when I watched them at the LFS

I guess this is why it's a good thing to just keep shrimp tanks as shrimp only for the most part

Yes, 100% sure. I work at an aquatics store and we got three or for shipments of these little guys. I put them in with our large PFR population and never noticed this happening. I moved some to 1.5g nanos by our register to show them off and stuck half a dozen blue jelly neos in with them and that's when I first noticed them going after shrimp. I figured it was because they were in a smaller space and still decided to get some of my own. I stuck them in my PRL tank and came home to one of them attacking a freshly molted shrimp. After the shrimp died it proceeded to pick pieces of the shrimp apart. So I moved them in with my snowball shrimp and started seeing it again. I watched one of my shrimp molt and just minutes later a micro crab came over and grabbed the shirmp. It did enough damage in that 2.5sec before I intervened that the shrimp died. All of the "attacks" that I have witnessed have been on adult shrimp. I moved them to my nano. They are always out and about.

The crabs I caught are both still doing great. They are also still the same size and they don't seem like they could hurt any shrimp. At least they haven't touched my mutant shrimp with eggs on its face. I've been meaning to go catch more and set up a nice tank for them but this is my busy season at work and it's a 2 hour hike to where these guys are and u just don't have the time and energy.

post-1309-0-69334200-1433588543_thumb.jp

post-1309-0-68243500-1433588571_thumb.jp