Mayphly's New Shrimp Rack

Looks sharp Andy! Definitely the rack I will be going with, I think the 3/4" plywood was the right fit. What coating did you add to them?

Thanks man! I used Minwax water based polyurethane. I have about 5 or 6 coats on the ply. The water just beads right off the wood.

I definitely like the look of the polyurethane. Notice any cons? Anything you would change?

I should have added more air valves. I wasn't thinking about all the breeder boxes. I'll be adding them soon. Everything else seems to be working out fine at the moment.

"knock on wood"

lot of info in this thread, thanks. It's helping me with ideas for set-ups with marbled crayfish

Glad I can be some sort of help. :)

• 3 weeks later...

I have the rack set up and my lights just showed up. That's about it for the moment. I'm swamped at work and have been putting in 16 hour days. My job really gets in the way of my life. Lol!! I'll get some pics soon[emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I resemble that remark. Looking forward to more pics. :D

Sweet set up.

• 3 months later...

I know it's been a while. But I felt I had to post a pic of my rack since I just added the last 3 tanks tonight. It's finally complete.[emoji4]5ce2bcecedbe4542674159ba84d3773a.jpg

Very awesome! This will definitely help when i eventually builder proper shrimp rack. Do you notice any differences between the HMF tanks and double sponge tanks? I have both as well but it seems its too early tl notice any real differences, considering the bio load the shrimp put out.

Very awesome! This will definitely help when i eventually builder proper shrimp rack. Do you notice any differences between the HMF tanks and double sponge tanks? I have both as well but it seems its too early tl notice any real differences, considering the bio load the shrimp put out.

I'm biased towards HMF but you cant compare the two. HMF is superior just due to the fact of it having a much larger surface area, very low maintenance and high water volume. Germans have been keeping/breeding reptiles, fish and amphibians longer than anyone.

i run a double sponge in my mischling tank which probably has the most shrimp in it and they constantly breed. The only thing I did with the double sponge is open up the inlet a bit to allow for max airflow. I rinse them maybe once a month. The HMF definitely put out more flow and with that more o2. The big plus is I don't have to clean the HMF.[emoji4]

Love the setup Andy! One day I will be able to setup something very similar and will need your do's and don'ts.

Very nice. What are you going to put in the 3 empty tanks. Are the two end tanks 45PPI foam? Is your LED DYI?

In one of the tanks I'll be keeping the pintos that I get from my taitibee. Not sure what else is going in the new tanks. Probably special projects.

The 2 end ones are 45ppi. ST ran out of black and I didn't want to wait 2 months. I kinda like the blue once it was filled up with water.

My lights are these ones

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LED-60-0-50W-6500K-HI-LED-Aquarium-Light-Lumen-Freshwater-Plant-Tropical-Fish-/301147401320?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item461dc8ac68

Nice! I'm doing HMF setup with ADA Amazonia as well. What's your PH now currently after fully cycled ?

Is that a 'No Shrimp Deaths' sticker I spotted middle of your rack? :D

Nice! I'm doing HMF setup with ADA Amazonia as well. What's your PH now currently after fully cycled ?

Is that a 'No Shrimp Deaths' sticker I spotted middle of your rack? :D

My ph usually settles around 5.3-5.6 with Amazonia. And yes... that's a 'No Shrimp Deaths' sticker compliments of Mr. Eric Martens. lol!!