Adding weekend auctions???

I was looking at another members trip to one of his local auctions, and got to thinking maybe we should have weekend auctions like 2-3 times a month. Have the auction st up sort of like aquabid, but on a more personable level. Such as comments made on auctions. Power deals. I think it could help get more popularity and potentially set us apart from other forums such as tpt. Instead of a raok system, do auctions or anything shrimp related... Plants, excess shrimps, foods, lighting, breeding materials. Stuff that just doesn't sell and we need to get rid of. What do you guys think?

I like that idea, I was just looking for area auctions and I seem to have miss all of them by a month.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

We could always run it where people just have to post to bid and then if it becomes successful look into a mod for the forum to make it easier. 

I agree that would def set TSS apart from other forums....

Here are a few hurdles that would need addressed:

1. Min Bids on items (and ability for seller to "let it go" below the min bid if it is close enough)

2. Duration of bidding on items - maybe make a subforum each auction, then each Item gets posted as a thread, the buyers can go and post there bid and at the end of the period of time the highest bid wins (this could lead to "snipeing" so might need to add in that any late bids extend the auction by "X" amount of hours) or something

3. Would need an "Auctioneer" to watch over the bidding and to serve as "mod" of all buyer / seller activity

4. If someone is selling more than 1 package of each, top bidder gets choice at how many, then it is offered to each lower bidder, slowly dropping the price - so if person x wins at $10 but only wants one, then person y is offered a package at $9 and so on (bidder x can only get them at his max bid, bidder y at their max bid)

With the proper set up this could be great

A possible rule also is to be "active" as a poster.  Whatever active is.

Unless you want people just to come in and try to auction things and never deliver?  I guess that can be remedied by requiring paypal though...

I agree that Paypal would be the ideal method, I know some people don't like it, but it provides security for buyers and sellers

May also want to "Write" into the rules that it is the buyer/sellers responsibility to look into their local rules in buying and selling certain species of plants and fish. The Shrimp Spot can't be held responsible for someone selling an invasive species or something that you are not allowed to ship

Also have a standard form for all auction listings to make it neat and organized (example)

Name:

Willing to Ship: (Cont US only, anywhere, within x state)

Species / item

Quantity

Current Conditions

Description

[Photo]

I never thought about these hurdles haha. But I like oblongs idea of letting it to as a sub forum and have threads and comments to bid to see how well it goes first. I like the idea that even if the item is below the min bid it should need to be let go as well. It would definatly set us apart

I never thought about these hurdles haha. But I like oblongs idea of letting it to as a sub forum and have threads and comments to bid to see how well it goes first. I like the idea that even if the item is below the min bid it should need to be let go as well. It would definatly set us apart

lol, oblong stole my idea  :P  that jerk lol

lol, works for me. I'd really like to see something like this develop

I think monthly would be the way to go about it. But would somehow need to spread the word about it to get lots of ppl looking at it and get them over here

I think that these auctions should run for a week, and then when it gets close to being the end, the time is extended as bids come in until either the bidders that were "going at it" drops out or 12 hours have passed with no more bids

I like the idea that even if the item is below the min bid it should need to be let go as well. It would definatly set us apart

I'm not crazy about that aspect.  As a buyer it is attractive, but as a seller there may be a minimum amount that I would be willing to accept and not under.

http://community.invisionpower.com/files/file/4037-classifieds/

I don't think this allows for auctions but makes the selling process maybe a little easier.

That looks awesome.

Well if you say: Auction ends at 12:00pm 5/10/15... someone could technically bid up by $1 at 11:59 to snipe it. By doing it with comments you can't hide your max bid like you could in aquabid

I'm not sure about that add on. I think the sale thread is good the way it is for now. When we get more member we may need to add something of this sort but for now the amount of active member isn't sufficient enough to use an engine like that

That looks awesome.

Well if you say: Auction ends at 12:00pm 5/10/15... someone could technically bid up by $1 at 11:59 to snipe it. By doing it with comments you can't hide your max bid like you could in aquabid

No doubt you couldn't just place a max and let it go.  I suppose that is a draw back. 

On the other hand, if the bid is placed by person in the last moments, I just think of that as part of the game.  If done by software, I think it may be a bit unfair.  I fully understand adding time after a last bid though.  Just makes it even the playing field.

I'm not sure about that add on. I think the sale thread is good the way it is for now. When we get more member we may need to add something of this sort but for now the amount of active member isn't sufficient enough to use an engine like that

Unfortunately I'd have to agree.  With only 140 members right now, it's not like we have 500+.  We sure don't want you nickle and diming yourself to death, Oblong.

Yea, I know I'd be all sorts of upset if the bid ended while I was asleep and would have bid more

Plus adding more time helps the seller get more too, gives everyone a chance to think.... "maybe I could get it for $1 more..." LOL

I agree that the selling add-on would be nice, but think it should wait till we get a little more popular. 

I know Aquabid charges no fee, but if the auction goes high they ask for a small donation, I'd say it'd be the same here (to help fund add-ons like that and other site improvements)