Worm ID Please!

woopderson

I have spotted these guys sliding around on the glass. They are very small, all white, and I can't see any eyes - at least not yet. They also don't appear to have the typical shovel head.

I have dosed some no-planaria just in case!

Any and all suggestions are appreciated :)

8a9d993b987189b6ed16cc03a073cebb.jpg0a76e75cbd557abbd603b387b7a513ce.jpg

Thanks RyeGuy. I have these worms too and thought they were juvenile planaria or something at first. It's been hard to find info on these guys. It seems there's mass confusion and mixing up of detritus worms vs planaria and flatworms.

I even tried a small guppy to see if they would eat them but they ended up just spitting them out lol

Whew! Thank you so much for the reassurance. I'm ok with more clean up crew. My initial panic was that they were planaria baddies!

Really appreciate the quick help.

[emoji41]

They are a small version of flatworm they are harmless most of us have them. When I first saw them I freaked out and dosed fenben and it did nothing.

Excellent!

I did a little research and found this info on a Dutch site. Its a direct copy and paste from Google translate, but I think it is legible. :)

Distribution:

Practical worldwide in both fresh and salt water.

Food:

These worms feed on bacteria and other micro-organisms. Some species also eat young (still very small) snails. For shrimp, lobsters and fish these worms harmless.

They also eat protein-rich food, such as frozen flake food and animal feed.

Reproduction:

These worms can reproduce in two ways: by sharing and eggs.

Propulsion:

These animals move crawling / sliding. They often sit on the glass or in the soil.

How do they get into the container:

Usually they are introduced into the aquarium through plants, rocks and gravel / sand.

Diagnosis:

Often these worms crawling on the glass of the tank, such as snails. Especially in baking in the startup phase can prevent them in very large numbers. With exuberant perform with protein foods, they also take in number.

Under a microscope or an enlarged picture is good to see that they do not like Planaria have a clear head.

Magnification. The head of the animal is on the right side.

Treatment:

Actually, control is not needed. They are indeed harmless to our animals.

These worms like to be eaten by fish and other predators (crabs, Palaemonetes species, some smaller Macrobrachiums.

Reduction of conduct ensures the rule before they disappear. However, you never get rid of them 100%.

Unlike Planaria they are insensitive to Flubenol and Panacur.

my advice: get used to seeing them ;)

look up Rhabdocoela

or

Scheibenwürmer

http://www.crustahunter.com/tag/scheibenwurmer/'>