Where do i start :)

I have joined here as im in the progress of setting up a caridina breeding project, I have 11 tanks planned ranging from 75 litres upto 115 litres, my aim is to start from the very beginning of bee shrimp and hopefully get some Taiwan bee shrimp, so im doing plenty of research on here and other forums on the way to go, I kind of understand the genetics, cross breeding and line breeding to obtain my goal, but I am just unsure on where to start. so my first question is -

Should I buy a colony of cbs and a colony of crs and cross breed these or should I try to get mischlings and use these, or all 3?

Thank you in advance.

Welcome

To better help answer any question we have to start with knowing  what is your end goal. If making the jump from Neos to "harder" Caridina is the only real thing you want to focus on then learning the basics of setting up a tank for them is where I would start.

hi mate thank you for your reply, I have done a lot of research into the keeping and tank setup for caridina shrimp, I have a ro unit which im not sure im going to use yet due to my water supply being so soft out he tap, I may just use my HMA unit, however I plan on using akadama in my caridina tanks , now I have used this in the past in my high tech planted but I didn't pay to much attention onto how it affect the kh and gh of my water, so I need to get the akadama and set up the tank and then test my kh and gh to make sure I still maintain the desired levels, if not I will be going down the ro with remin route.

I have been keeping neos now for a few years and im at a point now where I just leave them to it. but I want to take the plunge into caridina and get into the cross breeding side of things,

after doing a small amount of research is it even possible to get Taiwan bees from just cross breeding crs with cbs? I seem to be off the mark a little bit.

cheers

Ok the basics will be

CRS x CBS = Mix young of the two colors

To get Taiwan Bees you need to start with either Mischlings or TB's. If you like the look of a big mix of colors and really want an all in one tank then I would get a few Mschlings and a few TB's. This setup will result in have the basic colors of Red & Black Crystal shrimps with the added bonus of TB's.

With TB's you got your 4 basic colors Black King Kong, Wine Red, Shadow Panda, & Blue Bolt. The great thing about TB's is you might start with only BKK and their young can be any of the 4 I mention so no need to buy each one at the start. 

Like I mention before I would do something like 10 Mischlings & 5-8 TB's depending on budget and prices you find the TB's. heck you can start with 2 TB's and 10 Mischlings if budget is tight.

ok that is interesting, so would would BKKxBKK produce 100% BKK or will it throw out a mixture of TB, im wanting to get a mixture of strains of TB without buying each strain individually, or would you suggest my starting with hybrids or mischlings

cheers

Any TB would work. I know a few people who started with a mix group and as the population grew they start separating specific colors. 

Like soothing mention TB's are much more affordable now so if TB's is the main goal I would also go TBxTB like say 6-10 to start your colony with.

Hi jags, I would recommend you to start with the mischlimgs fist if you don't have experience with caridinia and then switch to more expensive TB once you got enough experience or if you lucky enough they might throug some TBs. I'm keeping my mischlimgs for 6 months now and I know a lot more since I started and even I kept neos in the past like you, I did quite a few mistakes in the beginning and lost some shrimps. Now I think I'm ready to buy a few TBs.

You can buy some mischlimgs quite cheap on eBay you can get 10 for around £25 or so. One guy is always putting 10 mischlimg on auction and they go for £16-£17. Of cause they might not be f1 mischlimgws but there is still a chance.

Hi citycode thank you for your reply,

Yea iv been watching the listings on ebay, ill have to see what they go for, it might be wise to have just them until im confiedent enough to add TB

Hi citycode thank you for your reply,

Yea iv been watching the listings on ebay, ill have to see what they go for, it might be wise to have just them until im confiedent enough to add TB

If you need some food or other stuff for shrimps I would recommend http://pro-shrimp.co.uk/ or other good uk online shop is http://keenshrimp.co.uk

The both guys are great and then can give you some tips if you have any questions. I'm going to buy my first TBs from them, pro-shrimp can give me free delivery if I spend more then £90 and I'm quite confident that they look after them shrimps very well. You can also ask them for discount if you buying a lot.