DIY powder food

how do you make your own shrimp food. where can i source different food items to make my own food? What are some items i should look for? is there a tutorial anywhere i look at about making my own food? any help would be greatly appreciated :)

My process is pretty simple.  I keep everything in a box and that makes it very simple to assemble everything I need to mix it up.I use green bean baby food, in the plastic boxes, because it has the highest percentage of calcium. All of the remaining ingredients are powdered.  I add the green bean baby food to the bowl first and then measure out the dry stuff with a measuring spoon.Mix it all up with a small rubber spatula to a thick consistency like frosting adding distilled or r/o water as needed. Then I use a cake frosting bag and tip (leaf) to create strips of food on no-stick aluminum foil. Into the dehydrator they go overnight. I save the green bean plastic boxes to store the food and add a silica gel pack to each box to keep it tasty. I keep the calcium to about 10 percent. It is important to use calcium that does not contain vit D. 

post-18-0-91053700-1435248181_thumb.jpg

Shrimp Daddy, thats a good blog, I read it a few days ago actually. 

However, you only mention that 35.4% is made of Homemade Powder Food.  That blog hints at what you might have used (Algae and Vegetable Powder), but you never tell us how to make the actual powdered food, its contents, ratios, ect...

Time for a Blog update!?  :thumbsu:

My process is pretty simple.  I keep everything in a box and that makes it very simple to assemble everything I need to mix it up.I use green bean baby food, in the plastic boxes, because it has the highest percentage of calcium. All of the remaining ingredients are powdered.  I add the green bean baby food to the bowl first and then measure out the dry stuff with a measuring spoon.Mix it all up with a small rubber spatula to a thick consistency like frosting adding distilled or r/o water as needed. Then I use a cake frosting bag and tip (leaf) to create strips of food on no-stick aluminum foil. Into the dehydrator they go overnight. I save the green bean plastic boxes to store the food and add a silica gel pack to each box to keep it tasty. I keep the calcium to about 10 percent. It is important to use calcium that does not contain vit D. 

can i bake in the oven to get it like you would in a dehydrator? I dont own a Dehydrator....

However, you only mention that 35.4% is made of Homemade Powder Food.  That blog hints at what you might have used (Algae and Vegetable Powder), but you never tell us how to make the actual powdered food, its contents, ratios, ect...

The rest is distilled water, agar and potassium sorbate.

I purposely leave that portion blank for people to create their own mix and recipe. Imagine you are cooking for your love one and you can try different dishes every now and then. ;)

Stick with algae powder (spirulina, chlorella and asaxanthin) and together with vegetable powder. Avoid seaweed and fruit powder as shrimp hates stuffs that are too salty nor too sourish.

• 4 months later...

I purposely leave that portion blank for people to create their own mix and recipe. Imagine you are cooking for your love one and you can try different dishes every now and then. ;)

Stick with algae powder (spirulina, chlorella and asaxanthin) and together with vegetable powder. Avoid seaweed and fruit powder as shrimp hates stuffs that are too salty nor too sourish.

Stumbled upon this thread and realized I had some organic super greens powder from my local bulk store.

http://www.bulkbarn.ca/en-ca/product/all/organic-super-greens-powder.html

Would the ingredients be suitable for shrimps? :)

I also make my own food. What I use is powdered algae flakes 30%, powdered fish flakes 30% and the other 40% powdered spinach/mulberry leaves or what ever else they like (I first check by putting in the leaves fresh and they love both). I then mix them all together and add tiny amounts of water until it is a very stiff paste/dough. I then make small balls and then flatten them. I leave them to dry.

They don't float at all which is nice and the shrimp love them and I also found their colours are more bright. My fish also love them I feed them to my fry. It takes an hour or so before it becomes soft in the tank. The fry however wait till it falls apart before they feast.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk