River Garden Nursery new Display and Rack Setup

Rivergardennursery

Hello all,

I am moving from my personal shrimp keeping to my store shrimp setup and Display. I wanted the display and for sale shrimp to be setup from scratch, so I can help more customers learn a better way from the start. I know my personal shrimp tanks have had plenty of ups and downs

I am working on more of a photo journey. I hope I have the time to keep this journal up with lots of pictures and details as I move along

First, the stand....

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-77-in-W-x-78-in-H-x-24-in-D-Steel-Shelving-Unit-ERZ782478W-4/202251082

post-2856-0-40851300-1445305116.jpg

Looking good!  I use the same type of rack.  Be sure to use the horizontal tie bar to the rails to prevent splaying.

Also I found the wire grill to bend quite a bit, so I've used 3/4" wood on top of the rails for added strength.

Great advice, I did make sure to include the middle supports and the tanks are on a pice of playwood, I cut to size. I placed the wood over the wire grills

• 1 month later...

I hope I don't come across as knowing more than you but be cautious about drilling tanks more than 15 gallons. No matter how expensive of a bit you use, it cause's micro fractures (not visible to the eye) in the glass and with pressure of the water it can cause the tank to leak down the road.  I have been in the fish business and hobby for 39 years and have seen so many drilled tanks eventually leak were its been drilled.  Now acrylic tanks wont fracture.

By the way, nice setup.

I hope I don't come across as knowing more than you but be cautious about drilling tanks more than 15 gallons. No matter how expensive of a bit you use, it cause's micro fractures (not visible to the eye) in the glass and with pressure of the water it can cause the tank to leak down the road.  I have been in the fish business and hobby for 39 years and have seen so many drilled tanks eventually leak were its been drilled.  Now acrylic tanks wont fracture.

By the way, nice setup.

Thanks, I am always open to suggestions, ideas and experience of others. I have them drilled up on the top back walls. I actually do not plan on drilling any more. I hate it. I have gone through so many different filter types, that I am back to the sponge filters for everything. They just work better for me. Granted water changes are not as convenient but over all the fish and shrimp and plants are just healthier

Good luck with the move! What about the B&B?

Thank You and the B&B is a very tough thing that we are trying to decide what to do with. We are keeping the farm and land and fish ponds across from the B&B, but not sure yet what are plans are with the B&B, it is such a nice place right on the river in a picturesque valley in the mountains

Hello all,

I am moving from my personal shrimp keeping to my store shrimp setup and Display. I wanted the display and for sale shrimp to be setup from scratch, so I can help more customers learn a better way from the start. I know my personal shrimp tanks have had plenty of ups and downs

I am working on more of a photo journey. I hope I have the time to keep this journal up with lots of pictures and details as I move along

First, the stand....

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-77-in-W-x-78-in-H-x-24-in-D-Steel-Shelving-Unit-ERZ782478W-4/202251082

Three months ago Costco had same size shelves but heavier duty better built for $89. I saw this after I bought mine and already setup my rack :thumbsd:

I just moved to a place that has a Costco. Do you remember the model number or name. I could use one for the new place :)

I believe these are Whalen brand. From what I've read, only some stores carry this item. With the sku you can have them check other locations.

They have racks on the website, but they are different brand&price.

BTW, my store moves merch. locations on a regular basis; very annoying. You'd think they'd leave those big heavy racks in the same place, but no. If I can find them next time I go, I'll try to get a sku for you.

Well... I might have messed this one up :( I added a few moss balls and a Java Matt, and now I have algae all over. I have been keeping the lights on 24/7, and no other additives. I did top off with RO/DI water today. I will try and dial the full light and see if the nasty stuff will go away. I am about 1 week and 2 days in. I did not bother testing as I will wait 4+ weeks regardless. I also have another 20 gallon long setup this weekend, doing the same setup up but with Controlsoil, and MK-Breed and not plants

post-2856-0-92054700-1450408734_thumb.jp

post-2856-0-97686900-1450408752_thumb.jp

post-2856-0-14822600-1450408777_thumb.jp

post-2856-0-30245100-1450408829_thumb.jp

Pull the plants put a do a 3 day blackout followed by a 50% or more water change. That should get rid of most algae. And then stick to a 10-12 hour photo period, plants need a break from the light. Something about producing proteins at night to use them during the day or something.

Will shrimps eat that stuff. Saw a YouTube video of Ellen's setup and that is how she cycles new tanks. Gets algae going to cycle the tanks. When I first saw the video I thought she was crazy.

If you really want to clean it up. H202 might help clean it up faster. Get a couple of buckets empty the water in the tank start spraying the surface let it sit for a while put the buckets of water back into the tank. Probably can clean it up in a day. Should bubble up and turn red.

Still think you should try the crazy algae technique....

Well... I might have messed this one up :( I added a few moss balls and a Java Matt, and now I have algae all over. I have been keeping the lights on 24/7, and no other additives. I did top off with RO/DI water today. I will try and dial the full light and see if the nasty stuff will go away. I am about 1 week and 2 days in. I did not bother testing as I will wait 4+ weeks regardless. I also have another 20 gallon long setup this weekend, doing the same setup up but with Controlsoil, and MK-Breed and not plants

The light is your problem, never leave it on all the time or your destined for algae. You also need to be doing small water changes during the cycle and adding a source of ammonia or it will not cycle.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Pull the plants put a do a 3 day blackout followed by a 50% or more water change. That should get rid of most algae. And then stick to a 10-12 hour photo period, plants need a break from the light. Something about producing proteins at night to use them during the day or something.

Thanks, I was trying the MK-Breed method of starting an new tank, and they leave the lights on for 3 weeks. I think my problem was adding plants too soon. I am going to cut back the lights, and remove the plants and see if that helps

http://youtu.be/ksBkBTzUXMg

Will shrimps eat that stuff. Saw a YouTube video of Ellen's setup and that is how she cycles new tanks. Gets algae going to cycle the tanks. When I first saw the video I thought she was crazy.

If you really want to clean it up. H202 might help clean it up faster. Get a couple of buckets empty the water in the tank start spraying the surface let it sit for a while put the buckets of water back into the tank. Probably can clean it up in a day. Should bubble up and turn red.

Still think you should try the crazy algae technique....

Thanks, I think I will keep the water and try the reduced light and remove the plants, we shall see what happens to the algae

The light is your problem, never leave it on all the time or your destined for algae. You also need to be doing small water changes during the cycle and adding a source of ammonia or it will not cycle.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

The ammonia should come from the ADA soil. I was trying this method, but think I should not have added the plants. They leave the lights gets on for 3 weeks.

http://youtu.be/ksBkBTzUXMg