Sponge filter with media

I definitely like this idea! Sometimes "you get what you pay for", hopefully this is one of those times.

I would rather get an HMF from Swiss Tropicals and put a bag of purigen in the back. HMF kit is about the same price and will work circles around that filter.

But how you put HMF into established tank? Don't you think it wouldn't be very easy, it also not always ideal due to space it takes. This sponge filter with media would be just a quick upgrade and I'm agree with you that HMF setup would work better of cause but it not always possible.  If speaking this way we can always upgrade an external filter for bigger volume and place purigen in it instead making or buying  this sponge with media. :)

The one big drawback with HMF + bag of Purigen is that you only use a miniscule fraction of the media in the bag. Only the media on the outer surface will adsorb anything, and the rest on the inside might as well not even be in the tank. It was the same with a bag placed in a HOB. This media really seems to need a reactor to actually be useful. Perhaps you could take the bag out and give it a shake every week, but I am trying to keep my hands out of the tank from now on.

The one big drawback with HMF + bag of Purigen is that you only use a miniscule fraction of the media in the bag. Only the media on the outer surface will adsorb anything, and the rest on the inside might as well not even be in the tank. It was the same with a bag placed in a HOB. This media really seems to need a reactor to actually be useful. Perhaps you could take the bag out and give it a shake every week, but I am trying to keep my hands out of the tank from now on.

I use tongs to take the bag out and once a week I squish the bag

But how you put HMF into established tank? Don't you think it wouldn't be very easy, it also not always ideal due to space it takes. This sponge filter with media would be just a quick upgrade and I'm agree with you that HMF setup would work better of cause but it not always possible.  If speaking this way we can always upgrade an external filter for bigger volume and place purigen in it instead making or buying  this sponge with media. :)

Your right, its very hard. I was basing my post on new setup or re-doing the tank.

Ok, meet my little creation - prototype 'Purgen bullets' upgraded version of that factory make :D

These bullets just loaded with fresh purigen and ready to launch tomorrow. As Soothing already mentioned it is a sort of lego and easy to dismantle and should be quite easy to clean but I don't think I ever going to reuse this purigen just reload it.

It took a little while for those plastic pills jars to arrived from China, I ordered two diferent sizeb but they look bigger on the pictures and only largest fit good on small standard sponge filter. From 5 jars I only made 2 successful, so for another one have to order again and wait for a week at least, but one should be enough.

I cut a circle of thin lair very fine sponge it should hold purigen, I hope so :-), and shouldn't reduce the flow too much.

Will share update soon

purigen_bulets1.JPG

purigen%20bulets.JPG