• Substrate- Fluval plant/shrimp stratum
  • Filtration- Aquaclear 20 HOB/ Duel sponge/ Fusion air pump
  • Flora- Fissidens geppi / Mini pellia
  • Lighting- Aqueon modular led 20 inch
  • Addtives- Mosura old sea mud/ bt-9/bio plus
  • Miscellaneous- malaysian driftwood/ Indian almond leaves

~ The tank was started 5/31/2014 and is curently cycling.~

post-193-0-58991800-1402758249_thumb.png

After a 50% water change I attached some moss to some rocks and drift wood. I am still getting high ammonia readings, I think its the new fluval plant/shrimp stratum that's leeching ammonia. I have done some reading and it's leads me to believe that it has been reformulated.

post-193-0-46929000-1402879715_thumb.png

post-193-0-27982900-1402880255_thumb.png

post-193-0-49345800-1402880439_thumb.png

Yea I would imagine that's what it is. That's what color ADA soil turns at the beginning. It sucks because its like instant green lol.

-Chris

Hulk smash green lol. I even added the activated carbon to my aqua clear 20 tested the water 24 hours later no David banner, Just hulk green. I really believe that fluval reformulated to compete with ADA aqua soil. From what I've read a Japanese breeder had a hand in the new formula. Just speaking on of what I have read. I can tell you, when I filled the tank I had zero cloudiness so far it is buffering to 6.4 with r/o water. As we all know we are limited to substrates in the USA. Could fluval be In direct competition with ADA aqua soil due to a new formula? If I had it all over to do again would of gone ADA aqua soil. I bought the Fluval stratum because I read it didn't leech ammonia.

Just a little update I have 2 baby rams horns that came in my fissidens, really cool they showed up now I don't have to buy some. I'm also getting another bulb for my lighting fixture doesn't seem bright enough. Tested the ammonia today 6 to 8 ppm all I can do for now is wait for the tank to cycle.

Little update did another 50% water change, tested ammonia few hours later down to the 2 to 4 ppm. Few more weeks the tank will be ready for shrimp. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...