Shrimp killed after molt

JT_Redmist

Hello everyone,

I have a 10g CRS tank with about 100 shrimps.  Tank is thriving and healthy.  Yesterday I witnessed something rather unusual or is it?  There was a female that had just molted, and the usual dancing ensued.  There were a lot of males that were chasing her.  Probably around 20.  Anyway, long story short they finally did the dance, however they ended up killing her and, you guessed it.  She became a meal.  Have you all seen this before?  Is there a way to prevent this?

Yes this is common for tanks with large colonies and/or lots of males. 10 gallon is not very big and can't possibly provide enough room or hiding space for female to get away from males. I talk about male to female ratio in a youtube video. Your really don't need many males in your tank to keep the population going, so I would suggest remove most of the males and sell or give them away. It will likely continue to happen. :( Just keep your males population lower if you can.

11 minutes ago, Shrimp Life said:

Yes this is common for tanks with large colonies and/or lots of males. 10 gallon is not very big and can't possibly provide enough room or hiding space for female to get away from males. I talk about male to female ratio in a youtube video. Your really don't need many males in your tank to keep the population going, so I would suggest remove most of the males and sell or give them away. It will likely continue to happen. :( Just keep your males population lower if you can.

Hi Shrimp Life,

Thanks for the reply.  This is the first time I've grown my shrimps where I can say it's a colony, so I'm new with the large numbers.  I will separate some of the males or like you said, sell them.  BTW, I love your channel.  I must have missed that video.  Shame on me 🤣

• 1 month later...

On 9/20/2019 at 8:59 AM, JT_Redmist said:

Anyway, long story short they finally did the dance, however they ended up killing her and, you guessed it.  She became a meal.

I have read a lot about shrimp and lobster behavior and my one takeaway is that very few demented human beings can be as horrifically cruel as the average male crustacean.

I think that it depends on the population in the tank. if you have a 10 gallon tank with hundreds of shrimp the lack of space makes it hard for females to get away from males so I'd say a very low ratio of males. With a smaller colony and more tank space and hiding places it won't be as much of an issue.