Shrimps are dead after water change

Boxit

Hi, My planted tank is pretty established and is stable at around ph 6.7 but the tap water that i use is at around 8 or higher since my api test kit can only read 8. My tank is about 100L and when i last did a water change all but one of my ghost shrimps died. I did a 15% water change while dripping it in over 2 hours. the chemicals i dosed during the water change were neutral regulator ph 7.0, flourish, flourish nitrogen and flourish potassium since i was having trouble with my plants but this fixed them right up. I just need some help on how to safely do water changes for my shrimp to survive and how to safely change the ph of my tap water to suit my tank. But before this my shrimps were thriving with some buried and i even saw some baby shrimps swimming around.

Fish Stock 

4 cardinal tetra

2 rummy nose tetra

2 serpae tetra longfin

Sorry to hear this! Your must be using buffering substrate if your ph is so low (6.7), when you do a water change with tap with higher ph (8+) your shrimp experience a sudden swing.. For Neos or ghost shrimp just use inert substrate so you don't have to deal with swings that cause this type of stress and subsequent loss.

6 hours ago, Shrimp Life said:

Sorry to hear this! Your must be using buffering substrate if your ph is so low (6.7), when you do a water change with tap with higher ph (8+) your shrimp experience a sudden swing.. For Neos or ghost shrimp just use inert substrate so you don't have to deal with swings that cause this type of stress and subsequent loss.

i started to used ph buffer because when i first started my fish would not survive long in the tank but when i changed the ph of my tank their issues went away and they had vibrant colours. is it better for me to change my substrate (ADA Aqua Soil Amazonia) and keep my tank around the ph of my tap water? is this safe for shrimp or even possible for them to breed? Or should i change my the ph of my tap water to accommodate the ph of the tank 

On 1/22/2020 at 7:25 PM, Boxit said:

i started to used ph buffer because when i first started my fish would not survive long in the tank but when i changed the ph of my tank their issues went away and they had vibrant colours. is it better for me to change my substrate (ADA Aqua Soil Amazonia) and keep my tank around the ph of my tap water? is this safe for shrimp or even possible for them to breed? Or should i change my the ph of my tap water to accommodate the ph of the tank 

If you're using buffering/active substrate like Amazonia you should be using RO or Distilled water and a gH only remineralizer to build your water.  If you are using water with kH in it, in this case tap water, then you are going to have pH swings no matter what.  Those swings aren't good for any of the livestock in your tank.  With shrimp, it's best to make slow changes to the environment because they are more sensitive than fish.  That means slow water changes too.  

On 1/31/2020 at 12:14 AM, wyzazz said:

If you're using buffering/active substrate like Amazonia you should be using RO or Distilled water and a gH only remineralizer to build your water.  If you are using water with kH in it, in this case tap water, then you are going to have pH swings no matter what.  Those swings aren't good for any of the livestock in your tank.  With shrimp, it's best to make slow changes to the environment because they are more sensitive than fish.  That means slow water changes too.  

This seemed to be the problem. Now i am dripping the new water in at even slower rate than before (overnight) and my new shrimp seem to be doing fine. Thank you