Blue steel(boa gene) F2 question

So I'm getting 8 Blue steel from White Boa parents tomorrow. I see quite a lot of information on things like taiwan bee x tiger mischlings, but when it comes to two lines that are already cross breeds how do the traits manifest? Is it still possible to get a pinto and blue steel as visual genes? Or am I just likely to get percentages of each shrimps lineage rather than a combination of the traits.  My plan is to hopefully get some boas and work on that line individually, but if the possibility of blue steel white boas is there, it may be an interesting project for me.   

Any insight is much appreciated, I've been scouring for any information I can get. 

Interested in learning about BOA genetics as well. It sounds like there's not a lot of information, or the information that's going around seems to contradict each other. BOAs are one of my favorite looking shrimps so I'd love to learn about how to best handle selective breeding to get a solid colony going. 

52 minutes ago, JSak said:

Interested in learning about BOA genetics as well. It sounds like there's not a lot of information, or the information that's going around seems to contradict each other. BOAs are one of my favorite looking shrimps so I'd love to learn about how to best handle selective breeding to get a solid colony going. 

I think line breeding is pretty straight forward with these guys as with other lines. They're essentially extremely high grade galaxy fishbones from what I've been able to discern, line bred for the larger pattern coverage. 

• 9 months later...

I would like to up this post.

Does anyone have soem informations about the breeding?

As I know it is indeed from the glaxy fishbone.

I found a breeder, who has a blue boa and skyfish pair, so the BOA genetics should be very high.

But especially on the visual explanation I need more information, sometimes is hard to see if it's just a very nice galaxy fishbone or a BOA.

Can anyone help?

14 hours ago, aquabro said:

I would like to up this post.

Does anyone have soem informations about the breeding?

As I know it is indeed from the glaxy fishbone.

I found a breeder, who has a blue boa and skyfish pair, so the BOA genetics should be very high.

But especially on the visual explanation I need more information, sometimes is hard to see if it's just a very nice galaxy fishbone or a BOA.

Can anyone help?

So, the thing with the BOA line is that they really just are really nice galaxy fishbones. Even Boa X Boa lines produce all sorts of patterned galaxies/pintos.  Boa is specifically noted when the fishbone pattern is thick, and leaves large usually rounded protrusions where normal fishbones will be sharp on the tail. On the head, rather than spotting you're looking for linked dots. Think of a Ball python's pattern, wavy almost.  The line of where a Boa begins, and a galaxy ends, is a bit up to the person looking at it. if you want to upload a "questionable" boa I can probably help to identify why or why not it is. 

On 11/27/2020 at 4:53 PM, plainredpanda said:

So, the thing with the BOA line is that they really just are really nice galaxy fishbones. Even Boa X Boa lines produce all sorts of patterned galaxies/pintos.  Boa is specifically noted when the fishbone pattern is thick, and leaves large usually rounded protrusions where normal fishbones will be sharp on the tail. On the head, rather than spotting you're looking for linked dots. Think of a Ball python's pattern, wavy almost.  The line of where a Boa begins, and a galaxy ends, is a bit up to the person looking at it. if you want to upload a "questionable" boa I can probably help to identify why or why not it is. 

Oh nice, thanks a lot for the quick reply :)

Ok so that is what I thought, so the best is to just compare to some nice known BOA pictures and look if they have nearly the same style of pattern?

Really interesting topic. I'm new in the breeding and didn't care for genetics or special shrimp before, but somehow it got me and now I try to find good informations about it.

But it's really hard to find some, especially on how to distinguish what grade a shrimp has and how it was breed and so on, it feels like its always a bit subjective on who you ask, right?

• 4 months later...

I am rehoming my high-end freshwater dwarf shrimp as I am cutting down on the number of shrimp tanks at my place.  I'm located in orange county (santa ana).  They are caridina dwarf shrimp (galaxy blue metallic boa fishbone from skyfish line). 1000 rehoming fee for the entire colony of shrimp. I will consider reasonable offers. I have over 25-35 of them in total. I'll toss in mosses and other aquarium equipment if you purchase the shrimp.  Let me know if you're interested.

Would love to know more about boa shrimp as well. I just got a couple along with some galaxy pintos. I also put some blue steel shrimp in there as well. Curious to see what comes out of the colony. 

Would love to know more about boa shrimp as well. I just got a couple along with some galaxy pintos. I also put some blue steel shrimp in there as well. Curious to see what comes out of the colony. 

FA8D1301-D3B0-4ACD-8B2F-B4CDA593475E.jpeg

899C8822-D1DB-462F-A8E3-DED339A3E4B8.jpeg

1D196425-5B50-4878-89A1-6201ABEAE9EC.jpeg

• 2 years later...
On 4/17/2021 at 7:06 PM, NSinvert said:

FA8D1301-D3B0-4ACD-8B2F-B4CDA593475E.jpeg

899C8822-D1DB-462F-A8E3-DED339A3E4B8.jpeg

1D196425-5B50-4878-89A1-6201ABEAE9EC.jpeg

Hi I was wondering if you got any good offspring from this combo?