Amano Shrimp just gave birth - HELP

Lucy

So I just performed a water change on my ten gallon aquarium. I come back to find one of my Amanos (Biggie), swimming around, literally pushing out hundreds, (thousands?), of babies all over the place. Why is this happening? I purposely chose Amano shrimp because I did not want this to happen. What will happen to all these babies? Of course with Coronavirus right now my local fish store is closed. I have 3 Amano shrimp and one Beta for reference, totally freshwater. 

Thanks,

Lucy

You purposely chose amano shrimps because you did not want shrimps to breed but now you fear the babies won't survive?

Shrimps reproduce when the males sense a female has just molted. If a male manages to mate with the female, the female becomes berried. Shrimps molt anywhere between 2-6 weeks depending on the age and species. Younger shrimps molt more frequently because they are growing quickly. Adult amano shrimps molt every 5-6 weeks on average. Water parameters can also affect how frequent they molt. Amano shrimps carry over a thousand eggs at a time while the common Neocaridina shrimps carry ~30 eggs and the common Caridina bee and tiger shrimps carry a bit less on average.

Yes, I was under the impression that Amanos needed brackish water to reproduce and even then it was extremely difficult for them to do so in captivity. Obviously this does not seem to be the case. So yeah I feel very sorry that I wasn’t able to do anything to help the babies in this situation. I was hoping that by reaching out on this forum I could learn more and possibly do something differently next time.

Lucy

• 2 weeks later...