Maintaining shrimp tank during COVID19 lockdown

Zack

I am facing a massive dilemma with my shrimp tank. I have a low tech planted tank in my office with my neos and caridinas in them. 10 gallon. We will be working from home for the next 4 weeks here I  Singapore.

Any advice on feeding and tank maintenance in general?

Will the shrimps die from no feeding?

Water evaporating and no water change will be an issue also I presume which will mess the TDS up.

20200403_143207.jpg

Hi Zack,

If your tank is established, feeding should not be an issue, however water parameters due to no water changes/evaporation will be what kills them.

In general I like to do 10-15% water changes weekly topping up with remineralized water, making sure parameters maintain stable and that there are no spikes is quite important.

I've left tanks alone for 2 weeks and haven't had any issues, wish you the best of luck with 4 weeks though :(

Take care and STAY SAFE!

9 hours ago, Zack said:

I am facing a massive dilemma with my shrimp tank. I have a low tech planted tank in my office with my neos and caridinas in them. 10 gallon. We will be working from home for the next 4 weeks here I  Singapore.

Any advice on feeding and tank maintenance in general?

Will the shrimps die from no feeding?

Water evaporating and no water change will be an issue also I presume which will mess the TDS up.

Never been in this particular situation but if you have any time to prep, I'd think you'd be able to at least make any potential issues not quite as bad.

Is the tank cycled and how's it set up? What type of filter, how's the water parameters, etc?

I see you have almond leaves in, that will help with the food situation. I've heard snowflake food (soy hulls) doesn't go bad or spoil the water so that's another potential long term food. From all the reading I've seen, it's better to underfeed than overfeed anyways, so you've got a chance there.

If you have the time, I'd do a water change on the last day possible to give it as long as it can. I've seen diy instructions on Google for auto top off systems to cancel out evaporation. Depending on your set up, perhaps you could set up a 5gal bucket as a sump to expand your water volume to keep the parameters stable longer.

Alternate option, might not be the most popular but would guarantee survival- could you move the tank to your home?