What disease causes shrimp to have shortened / broken antennae?

beanbag

Hello folks,

I have a Taiwan Bee shrimp tank that has been going mostly well for almost a year now, but in the last few months I've been having a particular problem.

A shrimp will be fine but I notice that it's antennae have become short or partially broken off.  After a while, it becomes lethargic.  I then put it in a mini quarantine tank and treat it with Maracyn 2 (minocycline) for about 5 days, and amazingly it recovers.  It is ok again for about 2 weeks (while still having the short antenna) but then becomes lethargic again, and this time a second antibiotic treatment can't save it.  I seem to be losing a shirmp every 2 weeks or so due to this.

The only posts I found on the internet regarding shrimp and broken antennae were about around 2014 or so on plantedtank, but there really wasn't a cure mentioned beside the usual preventative stuff of tannins, lower pH, etc.

The only real difference I can think of these last few months is that the weather has been warmer so I have been using the A/C more, and maybe bacteria are blowing in and landing in the tank?  (It does have a lid, tho)  The tank itself has a cooler so the temperatures are usually below 69F. I do about 15% water change every 1-2 weeks with RO + SS GH+.

• 1 month later...

Hmmm, never heard of that before. Try joining shrimp pimpin on fb and post the question there. And any images yiu may have, thats where I get all my answers for any shrimp issues. They're really helpful and hopefully thwy can figure it out. Do yiu feed them minerals, calcium food etc? I don't think its from the AC and the other parameters seem well. You said the substrate is like a year old, have you checked ph to see if its losing buffering affe t and the ph may be rising? Also, do you check gh & kh, I doubt it, but maybe gh too low and its a molting issue? Sorry, wish I could be of more assistance.