UGF Questions.

I'm in the planning phase of setting up a breeding rack. I have been keeping shrimp in my planted tank with a canister filter. I have read that a sponge filter in conjunction with a under gravel filter is the way to go with shrimp breeding. I've seen the plate style (jigsaw) and the DIY version (pipe with slits).  

1. Which version do you recommend?

While I am handy, I rather buy a quality setup than rig something up on my own.

2. How do you setup the UGF?

How is it connected with the sponge filter?

Thanks

It does seem overly complicating things. Thoughts on a hamburg matten filter?

Yes, it should work, I use the sponge filter from Angelfish plus, or swisstropicals. 

I haven't tried the corner filter yet. but it's cool idea.

My new tank in cycling, it has 4.25" round sponge filter. same material as HMF.

post-231-0-86692100-1408121588_thumb.jpg

UGF + Sponge Filter = easy mode. 

I have a tank with just that and works like a champ. 

They each are their own component so its not like they are somehow connected. I just setup DIY UGF that has seacham matrix covering the inlet holes I drilled, and a standard sponge filter running on the other side of tank. 

I made a ugf with pvc then added seachem matrix all around it, covered it with amazonia then connected to my cannister and its workes great so far. This is on my PRL tank and lots of babies and no worries about them gettiing sucked into anything. Water is perfectly clear. Only time will tell how long this works, or if it reduces the buffering of the amazonia. The ugf is only under about a third of the substrate. One all my other tanks just sponge filters. That works fine too.

I have a buddy who setup a whole rack with UGF + Aquaclear connected to it. From his personal experience he did notice quicker loss in buffering capability of ADA substrate. The exact amount I can't say, but he said it was noticeable.

Now he still uses UGF but with just standard airstone setup. He said it made the buffering last much longer this way.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I've got to say the HMF are great. They really give you such a large area for bacteria, and the fry especially love to

hang out on it.

My new set up will have an Eheim UGF which will run into an Eheim 2075 Pro 3 that with some Mech and filter floss, it will only be a pre-filter. It will then go into an Eheim 2076 Pro 3e full of biomedia. Just using up equipment I have lying around.

Lol big filters to be." Lying around" I want one, I have them on discus tanks and Angel breeders. Love the eheim ones, rarely have to touch mine and flow never gets bad.

Lol big filters to be." Lying around" I want one, I have them on discus tanks and Angel breeders. Love the eheim ones, rarely have to touch mine and flow never gets bad.

Yeah I'm a bit of a hoarder when I see a deal. I am also shutting down a few midsize tanks that I over filter with big Eheims. I just checked my inventory on the shelf and I have a 2213, 2215, 2075 Pro 3, 2078 Pro 3e and soon I'll have a 2262. Imagine the shrimpnado I could create with the 2262. My name is Ron and Eheimaholic....LOL

• 1 month later...

Right now I have tanks set up with: sponge filters, HMF, aquaclear - UGF, HOB, and canister. 

I really like the ability  to use biomaterial (Substrat) with the UGF, HOB, and canister filtration.  I also like the canister filtration with my sulawesi setup, which allows me to get great filtration and not have to mess in the tank too much.