RO/DI water price and questions

My LFS sells it for .50 cents a gallon and comes out at 0 TDS. Seems expensive in the long run so I might look into buying my own filter. What brand do you guys recommend as I have never used it before?

For cycling a tank with Amazonia, would it be better to cycle it with tap water or RO/DI? My tap comes out at pH 8 and is hard water. I'm asking because it is going to cost me $20 to fill my 40 gal with their water. I will for sure do RO when it is cycled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would get a Vertex Puratek Deluxe. Booster pump helps make water faster and more efficiently with less waste water. It's pricey but if you need a steady supply, it's tops in my book.

Cycling with hard tap water may shorten the life of your substrate but by how much, I have no clue. Invest the $20 into a unit and never have to worry about not having RO/DI on hand.

I got the PWC 150gpd portable one.

I've been using for over 2 years and haven't change any filters yet. I still get 15 TDs water.

And the tap water TDS is like 600.

Definitely not bad.

Your tap TDS is 600 !! Wow, I'm glad mine is only 180 ;-)

A word of warning for people buying RO. I have heard twice in the last year that my friend bought RO from store, and TDS tested 300 !! So do test it, it's better to be safe than sorry.

And the tap water TDS is like 600.

I recommend the AquaFX Barracuda RO/DI Unit, I have a product review on this particular unit. Works flawlessly and easy to setup. 

I would definitely recommend cycling your aquarium with RODI water versus your tap water, simply because you are going to deplete the buffering capacity of the ADA Amazonia even quicker since it needs to bring your PH down from 8 to 6.2-6.5.

Your tap TDS is 600 !! Wow, I'm glad mine is only 180 ;-)

A word of warning for people buying RO. I have heard twice in the last year that my friend bought RO from store, and TDS tested 300 !! So do test it, it's better to be safe than sorry.

Ya something like that. Its nuts!

We have tons of metals in our water. Our house is plumbed all using PVC piping. No copper as it would kill it.

Ya something like that. Its nuts!

We have tons of metals in our water. Our house is plumbed all using PVC piping. No copper as it would kill it.

Han which Mountain do you live inside? or Volcano?

What do you all do with the waste water the RO unit makes? I think these units waste about 2/3 of the water going through it. Im asking maiy because of the california drought and that my water bill last month was in the hundreds. Thinking that buying the water from store might be an option...

What do you all do with the waste water the RO unit makes? I think these units waste about 2/3 of the water going through it. Im asking maiy because of the california drought and that my water bill last month was in the hundreds. Thinking that buying the water from store might be an option...

That is one reason I always suggest the Vertex Puratek Deluxe, with the booster pump the efficiency is increased to 1:1 ratio. Save your waste water to water your plants and lawn.

One thing to consider when buying a r/o system is dose your cities water dose chloramines if they do you really should get a system that has chloramine removal media . Chloramines are derived from ammonia and I have seen the pass through r/o systems. If your cities water is good r/o is fine if you want zero water you need ro/di and if your cities water treatment doses chloramines you should look into a system that remove's them.

you get what you pay for.  

bulkreefsupply RO filters are tops in quality.

This is true quality parts and everything you need out of the box to and multiple insulation hook up's. Good value fair price for what you get.

If you are on a budget then pure water club is a good choice.

Doesn't have to be a top of the line RO system either. They all use the same filters. Purewaterclub.com mine was 80$ paid for itself in 2 months. .50 a gallon adds up quick. Yea there's waste water bit it's still cheaper. I water my plants with mine lol