Membership patch/perks discussion

I don't think any one is saying you would have to pay to be a member. That would be a death sentence to a small forum and even some large forums. The member ship fee that is being discussed would be a if you choose to donate you get X. This is just to support the forums upkeep costs and development.

OK got it now - thanks for the clarification.

I do like the idea of a tier system so people can choose how involved they want to be it would take some time to implement. I think for now to get this going a flat  supporting member fee around 25$ a year is fair  this would get you a supporting member tag displayed under your avatar, some type of item with the shrimp spot logo. We are discussing possible discounts to supporting members.  It's really not about the perks to me it's knowing that I can contribute to this wonderful place for others to come to and learn, teach and share experiences keeping shrimp.  

Will,

What are your suggestions? Are any of these ideas feasible? Would like to have your input if possible. 

I like the tier system, different color names, bronze, silver, gold, platinum, and maybe a supporting member tag or equivalent. I think you could always sell or add a portion to your webpage to sell t-shirts, stickers, hats, etc.

Thanks

I like the idea of separating the membership from the forum store so that people aren't paying an inflated membership fee for something they don't care about.  Aside from some different colored names and member tags I am not sure what other benefits we can provide at this time since free members are basically getting them already. 

I also think we may want to hold off a little bit with this because if we grow a little more and get into the next pricing tier for hosting it comes with stuff that makes buying and managing memberships far easier and more automated. 

I can add a section on my website for stuff like that but I am worried about it not being super popular and don't want to be sitting on a bunch of tshirts or other products.  Does anyone know of a place we can just upload the image and people can order directly or someplace that dropships those kinds of items? 

How many more members do we need for the next pricing tier? If you were to have several members guarantee they would pay for a particular tier could you pay to get to the next tier?

I could pay up for the next tier.  It is $10/mo more.  Once we hit an average of 40 online users over a rolling 48 hour period we would be moved up anyways.  Probably would just be worth doing some of this stuff manually until we hit that tier.  There probably won't be many so I can just track it manually.

I guess we just need to figure out what people want in the way of perks for a paid membership. 

Personally, I would be happy with name color depending on tier, instead of Advanced Member- a custom name as long as its appropriate, and a I support sticker, or something along those lines.

Anything more for me would just be a bonus.

I can add a section on my website for stuff like that but I am worried about it not being super popular and don't want to be sitting on a bunch of tshirts or other products.  Does anyone know of a place we can just upload the image and people can order directly or someplace that dropships those kinds of items? 

check out my post #14  http://www.shrimpspot.com/index.php?/topic/1342-membership-patchperks-discussion/#entry19434

I'd be happy with just a supporting member title and a sticker of some kind. The simpler the better for now would you guy's be willing to pay 10$ for that for a year? Even if we only got 20 - 30 supporting members it would pay for the next teir for the next year.

I'd be happy with just a supporting member title and a sticker of some kind. The simpler the better for now would you guy's be willing to pay 10$ for that for a year? Even if we only got 20 - 30 supporting members it would pay for the next teir for the next year.

$10-$30 I would be fine with.

My vote goes for atickers and shirts. Name color of your choice. And eventually when the forum is as big as others, say free membership is 4 sale posts a month. Next level +2 and so forth. Modrators unl. Sponsors only in sponsor shop

I like the idea of having stickers and Tee's for the forum. Just a suggestion, on the goldfish forum I belonged to we had a subscriber fee if you wanted to support the forum and have a few perks. Subscribers got to have special raffles or giveaways to enter in that were better than the regular ones. We didn't have tiers or different levels of membership, you just were either a subscriber or a regular member; makes things less complicated but still offered perks to those wanting to support.

I wear scrubs and jeans. My car and room are full of junk. I clearly am not responsible enough to handle material possessions. Digital or bust, I say.

Exceptions are made for medical textbooks (that I still lose with alarming frequency).

I am having some samples made coffee mug, tee shirt, mouse pads also looking into fridge magnets. They should be ready next week they will feature The shrimp spot logo and some kind of shrimp imagery once I get all the imagery worked out I will submit it, if it gets approval we can proceed with other details. 

I wouldn't mind any of those but I don't think you'd want to pay the postage to the UK so wouldn't really be useful for me as that would be eating into your funds.

I just had a package shiped to me from the uk and shipping wasnt bad

I was going on the postage for an item I saw on eBay that would be coming from USA and for 60g package it would have cost $12 which would kind of defeat the object of raising funds for upgrades. I know there aren't many of us from the UK yet, but maybe that will increase in the future.

Is this something you plan on doing in the short-term Will? Or Are we waiting for the next tier in members online?