ROAK, but not "free"

randy

lol very nice!  Congrats!

You said think about the light....but you didn't mention anything about a light before.

Were your shrimp behaving differently in the morning before the lights came on vs the evening when the lights had been on?

Did what you did with the filter that day change your surface water agitation? 

Did you do anything else with the tank from the day they started dying till you figured out the problem (water changes or messing with the filter again)?

Sorry, I assume most people have a light for a shrimp tank. Now the answer is out... you know why I said think about the light. And I didn't touch the light at all that day.

The reason I found out on a Sunday morning was that my lights are all on timer from 7pm to 2am. And when the lights are on, the filter would be running. Sunday morning I turned on the light in the room, that's how I found out the filter wasn't running (since the timer was off).

Randy do you have your light on a timer?

Dang by the time I typed my question. You had an answer.

Lol ive done that too i lost a whole cherry colony before my dumb ass realized what happend

Thanks, that makes me feel better since I'm not the only one ;-)

Woohoo!

Unfortunately, I wasn't at the meeting. I would love to check out your collection, but I live in New York. =(

The explanation is very plausible since we shrimpers tend to have many cords and surge protectors (lights, filters, heaters, fans, ect..), its very possible to plug your filter into the wrong outlet.

With many tanks its very possible to overlook a downed AC, especially if the lights are already off.

Thanks for the ROAK! 

I was figuring it was something with low O2 I just hadn't figured out the cause of it yet.  I have had that cause problems in a few tanks before when the airline gets plugged and the bubbles stop.  The shrimp are usually fine when the lights are on because the moss produces O2 but once the lights go off they get unhappy.  I lost a bunch of tiger shrimp a couple months ago when that happened.

Label your plugs, my friend! Too many plugs was one of the reasons I switched everything to air-powered. I am spoiled, man. I think I've unplugged it once in two years, not counting when I had to borrow the extension cord it was plugged into.

I was figuring it was something with low O2 I just hadn't figured out the cause of it yet.  I have had that cause problems in a few tanks before when the airline gets plugged and the bubbles stop.  The shrimp are usually fine when the lights are on because the moss produces O2 but once the lights go off they get unhappy.  I lost a bunch of tiger shrimp a couple months ago when that happened.

Would the the lack of O2 have that profound effect on the shrimps?  Always suspect it should a bit but never had a situation to confirm it - good to know.

I use Oxydators in all my tanks - mainly started because the european breeders uses them but it comes come in handy whenever the power goes out.  We get what they call "rolling blackouts" during the summers.  Basically when the power load gets too high in the summers (usually during a heat wave) the government do controlled blackouts to certain communities to prevent an overload of the powergrid. 

Dawww, Randy! Why wouldn't you let me spoil it? ;)

;-) Someone actually got the answer though...

I think it depends on the kind of algae.

That's one thing I never figured out. Most of the time, the "hair algae" that grows in my cycling process would get destroyed by shrimps after shrimps are in the tank, but if the algae stays for more than a week then the shrimps won't touch it.