ShrimpFan's All Things Shrimps

Ch3fb0yrdee

I had some golden bees that had quite a bit of blue on them. I was under the impression that's where the TB may have originally got their blue from. Just speculating [emoji4]

I don't know how "common" it is to be quite honest. I do know that these guys were ranked champions when I bought them. The "blue-tint" is quite desirable and originated from just 2 breeders in Japan. Because of it's desirability and appeal, many Japanese breeders bought from those 2 breeders and incorporated their bloodline into their existing bloodlines. You may notice that many of the ranked BlackBees will demonstrate this trait. I am speaking in terms of strictly Japanese based competitions. I do not follow Taiwanese or Chinese shrimp competitions so i don't know much about that and cannot comment.

I think it's one of those geographical thing that is special among a selected group of people. Personally, I find the blue tint appealing and quite beautiful, but atlas, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. :D

RedBees and BlackBees will always have a special place in my heart. I still recall the moment I saw them pictured on a eBay Ad (from aquaticmagic selling a moss ball at a time) and I became instantly captivated.  The feeling and infatuation has never faded.

It's one of things you cannot forget or get past because it was the one that started it all, ya know?  :D

Not much excitement this week. I've been busy with work and so no chance to really do any really photography but I did take the camera out for an hour or so to take pictures of this strange looking shrimp inside my Red Wine tank. The only survivor from the 3rd brood.

DSCF2389_zpscb58da0c.jpg

...did finish all my snacks though...  :P

That's a tricky question. Although this guy came from Red Wine/Ruby Red parents, I'm hesitant to call him a Red Bolt because I don't know the definition or distinction between Goldens bees and Red Bolts. I feel like this guy could very well be a Golden Bee as they look too similar and due to the Taiwan Bee genetics being so muddled and mixed with in the past.

The thing about Blue Bolts that makes them distinct is the lack of a blue colored caridina before it. With selective breeding, the blue bolt has become a very distinct bee whereas the guy I have could easily be confused for a poor golden. It's currently too hard to tell.

Around this guy's head, he does have that pinkish/red color that is common among bolts (the low grades) which is something I can selectively breed for and improve. The 4th brood looks to have a few more similar to this guy. When they grow up a bit more I'll isolate and breed.

Exactly! I'm glad we both agree on this. I'm worried that if I start calling these guys "Red Bolts" it might start something. Currently, the grown "suspect" doesn't demonstrate the clear exoskeleton that would allow me to see through to the flesh underneath. It's definitely interesting as the guy is specked all over his body, similar to that of a low grade blue bolt. I'll need more time to observe and consult with my buddy.