ShrimpFan's All Things Shrimps

Ch3fb0yrdee

I don't know. they grow so slow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It does grow slow. This is a working progress that has been undergoing development for a little over 1 year. I never pluck the moss from the centerpiece. I just let it grow naturally. Fissidens is great because it grows upwards so new growths doesn't suffocate the old growth and kill it off. It just grows fluffier and fluffier. 

That's a really nice tank.

Thanks mate. I'm pretty uncreative because all my tanks have a center piece with fissidens. I doing a new layout so i'm cultivating mini fissidens... but still just more fissidens.

LOL!!! ShrimpFan overly simplified it. Fissident needs TLC.

Hah! Not too hard. I was having algae issues initially but that's because my light (most lights) are too strong. Turned my fissidens brown and ugly. It's green and lush now. Thanks to you mate!

I just really love the look of the centerpiece. Fissidens is one of my personal favorites.

It's also my favorite moss. Lush flame looks amazing too!

I have fissidens that is over a year old it doesn't grow like that lol

The moss strange grows fluffy like that naturally. I don't trim or do anything special. Do you fertilize your tanks? I find that moss will grow stringy and ugly if there's no co2 and insufficient fertilizer available. Most shrimpers still believe the myth that co2 and ferts with shrimps don't mix. I've never had issues with that combination.

Do you trim your fiissidens?

Nope! I let the moss grow wild. It just gets fluffier and fluffier.

Depending on what tank but my PRL tank gets fertilizer from aquarium fert (I don't know if the website is still up). I basically mix the dry salts into liquid form and store in those ada brightly K bottles. For micros I dose seachem trace.

I've since switch most of my tanks over to using the Revive Colore that Hyoushoku provides and it basically meets all my shrimping needs.

Oh, forgot to add. For my lighting, I'm using those old Achaea PC lights. I don't recall the power but it's the one that fits the 60P perfectly. I had to tint and increase the distance between tank top and light. It was far too powerful and caused my moss to yellow and look unsightly.

Managed to put time aside to perform waterchanges for the tanks at my parent's home and had enough time to add a hangbar for my light for my cubes. Today was spent just doing the waterchanges and taking photos of the shrimps. As usual, the JRB females weren't keen on getting their photos taken so for the most part they were  hiding in the back. The male JRB was peacocking so I snap photos of him but only one turned out clear. The BlackBee babies weren't shy and decided to show up for the photo session and a berried female decided to join. Rest of the JBB crew did their own thing in the back of the tank hiding in the branchy driftwood.

DSCF2420_zpsc710e09f.jpg

DSCF2441_zpscbd56d56.jpg

DSCF2469_zps4c3c820f.jpg

DSCF2476_zpsad551956.jpg

Outtakes:

DSCF2443_zps38eb85c1.jpg

...Playful exuberance among siblings...

DSCF2433_zpsce3e5bb5.jpg

This was the best I could do to show a sample of my population with a macro lens... sorry for the really unfocus and poor photo.  :thumbsu:

DSCF2484_zps0ced5042.jpg

Ugly tank that will be rescaped tomorrow. I've finally grown out enough flame and mini fissidens to seed this tank. 

Mini2-2_zpsd1f08072.jpg

Mini1-2_zps54828c88.jpg

...My colleagues are beginning to talk... :lolu:

We're planning on cubicles for mid 2015 and I am planning on getting a Hot Toys "Age of Ultron" Hulkbuster, if I brought that to work, people would definitely start to talk but also probably leave me alone :)

Having toys or miniatures at work is so cool! You should definitely get the Hulkbuster.

Thanks, I think I'll have to hide it at work from my wife if I do get it.  It's rumored that it could cost as much as $1000 USD....but it does light up :)