Royal Blue Tiger How-To

forumsnow

Great info on this topic. I too have Royal Blues, just had one of my females berried, and she is about the same dark color as forumsnows.

I believe the lighter blues are German bred, maybe water parameters are so different over there and what they feed that it makes the blue color lighter in each generation.  Their OEBTs are also a more vibrant royal blue, and as that is where the 1st Royal Blues came from their genetics would be for the lighter blue.  

From what I have seen most USA/Canada RBTs are more darker blue, but when you put a light on them you can see the royal color.

British I have raised Black Tigers (high grade) and they are so dense a black that they don't usually show any blue tinge at all.

Some of mine are lighter blue, mostly younger shrimp and males.

I do not know what country they originated from as I got them from Nick a few years ago. I have added pics taken with dslr+macro plus cheap cellphone camera to show it is not just good camera to show off colors.

I will be doing some selective breeding on the lighter ones and also the super rusty ones I have.

post-225-0-02161300-1426361049_thumb.jpg

post-225-0-10918900-1426361081_thumb.jpg

post-225-0-66059600-1426361302_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...
On November 11, 2014 at 2:17 AM, christinenha said:

Thank you for this amazing info! My Royal Blues will be delivered in January, and this is very helpful. I'm going to purchase the Mosura TDS Up and use that to get my TDS to where I want it. When I use the SS GH+, it gets the GH to 8-9 with a TDS of 170. Also, how do you have such a high pH? I use RO water with a bag of crushed corals, and the max it's raised the pH to has been 7.2. It normally ranges between 6.8-7.0. Thanks again!

I know you posted this a couple years ago, but I'm curious if raising your TDS to 200+ helped you too? I run about 170 and nothing seems to be happening. All of my other parameters are the same, but I am just not getting the population increase. I'm feeding same time line (3x per week) with high quality foods. 

I know you posted this a couple years ago, but I'm curious if raising your TDS to 200+ helped you too? I run about 170 and nothing seems to be happening. All of my other parameters are the same, but I am just not getting the population increase. I'm feeding same time line (3x per week) with high quality foods. 

I no longer use Mosura TDS+. I just upped the GH to 8-9, which has put me at about 230 TDS, and they are breeding like crazy. They bred best at GH 10 for me, actually, but I feared the GH getting too high so I dropped it a bit. =)

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Edit: Hadn't realized this post was back when I was using SS GH+. I switched to liquid remineralizer which put my GH at about 6-7 for a TDS of 170. So I increased it, and they've been good since. =)