Sochting Oxydators

OblongShrimp

no I don't carry the extendable ones.

I think this was posted a while back on The Planted Tank. Liam (mordalphus) commented that the benefits were marginal if you're running a sponge filter. Who really knows though. It's a nice device and the prospects promising. Id get one just for kicks.

I see, thanks for summarizing. I have forbidden myself from visiting tpt and apc for some time now, so I must have missed the thread.

Has anyone brought up testing the use of sodium percarbonate as an additional source of oxygen in the substrate during the setup phase?

I found a diy for the oxydator on a German site a while back. I was able to utilize the atomic diffusers to diffuse oxygen into the water column. I found that the bubbles were fine enough to fully dissolve by the time it floated to the top.

In terms of effectiveness, I couldn't tell. But shrimps didn't die.

I was using the exact formula as the store bough oxydator. Made the mixture following directions online and got the higher grade h2o2 from eBay.

It became a hassle to swap the liquids so I stopped but I had it running for a good 2 months.

Anyways I'm excited if will can get these in. Looks cool.

do you have extendable one?

I sell extendable ones, but waiting to get a restock. extendable ones are hard to come by because the  rest of the world loves fixed length nets while for some reason US only wants extendable ones. I think its odd but doesnt surprise me people see what others use and want the same. personally i only use fixed length ones now. but my extendable ones are just as high quality. 

and easier to ship thats for sure.

I would be interested in multiples of these although you can diy one simply with a very fine airstone, some air line a container and something as a catalyst like lead.  The diy version doesn't go into the tank either which I somehow have more peace of mind with as if 35% h2o2 leaks your gonna have a bad day if its inside the tank.  Either way I have read quite a few threads on these in saltwater forums and would love to try one.

I think this was posted a while back on The Planted Tank. Liam (mordalphus) commented that the benefits were marginal if you're running a sponge filter. Who really knows though. It's a nice device and the prospects promising. Id get one just for kicks.

While both an air pump and the oxydator provide oxygen I would say the main benefit (aside from increasing oxygen levels which both does) is that oxydator does not require any electricity and are completely silent.  And the refill are inexpensive. They also create finer bubbles of pure oxygen - how beneficial this is over standard air bubbles produced by air pump is debatable.

The peace of mind they provide me whenever power goes out (and it always happened a few times every summer) and their relatively low cost (I use mostly mini's) make them a standard piece of equipment in all my tanks. 

Oh, I didn't realize they were electricity free *and* silent. You'll laugh, but I'm really concerned that my frog might not like the air pump that's next to his tank. He was very crabby about food when it was running.

One of the best places to buy 35% h2o2: http://www.celestepureh2o2.com/

1 part 35% Hydrogen Peroxide to 6 parts distilled water yields the recommended 6% solution.

For example: 1/4 cup of 35% Hydrogen Peroxide plus 1 1/2 cups of distilled water = 1 3/4 cups of 6% Hydrogen Peroxide.

A 1-to-3 ratio of 35% Hydrogen Peroxide to distilled water would yield a 12% Hydrogen Peroxide solution.

Thus you can adjust the % Hydrogen Peroxide as desired to accommodate the rate at which oxygen is dispensed into the aquarium.

...so 1 quart of 35% Hydrogen Peroxide yields 1 3/4 gallons of 6% Hydrogen Peroxide.

I can see people making this and selling it similar to food samples.

We can get 3%, 6% and 9% by volume H2O2 at our chemist for a few pence. Is that suitable for these oxydators?

While we're on this. Doesn't anyone know if long term usage of the oxydator can lead to oxygen toxicity on shrimps? Being that the oxydator will be releasing pure oxygen into the tank, would this cause any issues on the overall health of shrimps.

1. Will they be affected long term?

2. Of they're sold, would they do well back in an environment where their new owner does not own an oxydator?

The oxydator is also repurposed from reef tanks for freshwater use.

Just thoughts.

We can get 3%, 6% and 9% by volume H2O2 at our chemist for a few pence. Is that suitable for these oxydators?

30% is what I hear is the minimum from a couple reef enthusiasts on another forums I belong to.

While we're on this. Doesn't anyone know if long term usage of the oxydator can lead to oxygen toxicity on shrimps? Being that the oxydator will be releasing pure oxygen into the tank, would this cause any issues on the overall health of shrimps.

1. Will they be affected long term?

2. Of they're sold, would they do well back in an environment where their new owner does not own an oxydator?

The oxydator is also repurposed from reef tanks for freshwater use.

Just thoughts.

The benefits I have heard specifically inhibit nuissance algae growth in reef aquaria aswell as keeping the water crystal clear, most people really only notice the clearer water part.  I am not sure how that translates to the health of a shrimp habitat where you want microalgae growth.

most of them run on 6%, some of the large ones (100 gal size) can run on a higher %.  I don't know what happens if you use a higher % though

most of them run on 6%, some of the large ones (100 gal size) can run on a higher %.  I don't know what happens if you use a higher % though

More oxygen from higher %.  I have heard running lower than 30 is just about useless but that may be a saltwater thing.  They really arent popular in reef tanks but I frequent a few forums with european members that use them and theres usually much discussion/debate about their use.

Also are their rules about posting links to other forums?  I can probably find the thread that details some pretty detailed information on how they work, why they work, and debates on their effectiveness.  I believe there are a lot of similarities between a biofilter driven shrimp system and a saltwater live rock biofiltration system so that could answer a few of those questions about effectiveness aswell.

More oxygen from higher %. I have heard running lower than 30 is just about useless but that may be a saltwater thing. They really arent popular in reef tanks but I frequent a few forums with european members that use them and theres usually much discussion/debate about their use.

Also are their rules about posting links to other forums? I can probably find the thread that details some pretty detailed information on how they work, why they work, and debates on their effectiveness. I believe there are a lot of similarities between a biofilter driven shrimp system and a saltwater live rock biofiltration system so that could answer a few of those questions about effectiveness aswell.

Link away. I don't think there's restrictions for posting links. Others advertise sales links to their sites here without problems. I do think sharing links, especially if it's to further knowledge, would be any different.

Well the first thing we have is the patent and a detailed explanation of how it works here: http://www.google.com/patents/US4784765

Second is the DIY experiment performed here, lots of hearsay in this thread take most info skeptically: http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/324974-diy-oxydator-experiment/

Heres a TPT thread about them and use with bees:  http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=183686&highlight=Oxydators

I stand corrected with the 35% comment, it seems that people just buy that to dilute with RO water to get 6-9% concentrations.  Use the following chart to dilute food grade 35% to the desired concentration here: http://www.using-hydrogen-peroxide.com/peroxide-dilution-chart.html

A lot of this gets into discussion of actual H2O2 dosing which is quite dangerous for your tank if you don't know exactly what you're doing so I would advise not try it, especially because shrimp are easily affected by it.  It has been known to kill cleaner shrimp in SW aquaria.

There is also a US vendor of them but according to the site are all out of stock, I am refraining from a link as this is another vendor and I feel like it would be rude to post it in a vendor forum.

The US vendor you are referring to is no longer a vendor.  I am working on becoming their new US distributor.

what soothing said :).  It is pretty reactive so you should be fine.  I use it to spot treat algae in my tank sometimes and rarely do a water change afterwards.

There won't be any H2O2 left in your water after that length of time.

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to add that I am currently experiencing my first real test for my oxydators as my neightborhood been out of power since late Saturday night due to an underground electric fire and probably won't have power restored until Thursday afternoon.

So far most of the tanks are doing fine including my 20G PRL cull tank with around 300+ shrimps. Most of the tanks have mini oxydators in them.

The only one with issues is my 33G tiger tank. It has two mini oxydators in them but has a smaller surface area per volume than the other tanks. I also did a water change just after the power gone out so that might not have helped. Already moved most of them to another tank and getting an UPS to run the air pump tonight just in case.

Would they have been fine without oxydators in their tanks.. Maybe but I'll leave that to someone else to try :P

I know my tiger tank has had O2 problems in the past when the airline gets plugged so I am sure I would have issues without power.