Sochting Oxydators

OblongShrimp

That is normal.  You will see bubbles inside as the catalyst breaks down the H2O2.  As the air in the Oxydator increase it will force H2O2 out through the tiny hole at the bottom.  When this H2O2 is exposed to the ceramic it will break down to H2O and O2.  I often see some bubbles when I first set it up but after an hour or so I stop seeing bubbles on the outside of the Oxydator.

• 4 weeks later...

You should spot treat the algae, the H2O2 in the Oxydator doesn't get released in the water as it is broken into H2O and O2 in the ceramic.

The weight of the ceramic should keep it from floating but it will be a lot more buoyant when it is empty.

• 1 month later...

Just saw this topic and just want to share my experience.

I've got 4 mini SOCHTING MINI OXYDATORS but now I stopped using them, they cost me around £10/each here in uk including 2 small bottles of 6% solution. They come with 2 small ceramic catalysts you can use only one for 30L tank or use 2 for 60L. If you using 2 it will be quicker reaction and it will last 2 times quicker - around 1,5-2 weeks with two catalysts and around 3-4weeks with one. How they work - small glass bottle has a cap underneath with ceramic stand/holder. There is small hole in the cap. You please catalyst inside the bottle and fill it with h2o2 close the bottle with the cap and place it in the stand upside down so the cap is at the bottom. it starts dissolve oxygen and create pressure inside the bottle and solution start to drip out off the bottle on the ceramic stand/base which working as a catalyst as well and dissolve oxygen from drop of peroxide in the water column.

When you using this you might not see the bobbles all the time only once a period of time when the drop of the solution hit the ceramic base.

I never notice deference when I'm using or not using these gadgets. Sometime am not refilling them for a weeks and my shrimps doing well without it. I think it's good for emergency or transportation and this is another product on the market to make you spend your money and it will take a space on the bottom of your tank. Just keep it simple your shrimps can breath without it. You don't need pure oxygen to breath unless you having lungs problems and if you start breathing pure oxygen for a long time you will get used to it and will be suffering if you breathing normal air same for you shrimps - you simply going to create more fragile shrimp.