Mayphly's Pinto Journal

mayphly

Love how the tank looks.  Cant wait to see how this turns out.  Keep us posted on the progress and I hope it's smooth sailing for you.

Wow that red and black pinto is gorgeous!! Is it the camera changing the colors or is it really red and black? 

I believe the red shrimp is just a hino wine red with some nice white coloration on it. The lighting makes it look black in the pic.

• 2 months later...

Well I just wanted to post an update to my pinto project. I know it's been a while. This girl became berried on March 1. I haven't a clue to who the father is. There are two other male tibees in the tank as well. I'm hoping it was a TB that got to her. Either way it's pretty exciting stuff!

post-89-0-20448400-1425527924_thumb.jpg

This morning I found another tibee full of eggs. Originally I thought this one was a male since it is a bit smaller than the one pictured above. I'll try and get some pics of it later today.

If a female mischling becomes berried then I remove her from the main tank and place her in the breeder box. It makes separating the mischlings from the TB easier after they're born.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If a female mischling becomes berried then I remove her from the main tank and place her in the breeder box. It makes separating the mischlings from the TB easier after they're born.

Thank you for prompt reply, so you make the female give birth in the breeder box, am i right? How big is this breeder box, some say shrimps can get stressed easily in the breeder boxes which makes me hesitated?

I'm using a medium Marina breeder box which is 6.5"L x 5"H x 3.5"W on my 7g tank. My shrimp don't appear stressed while in there. Perhaps some people have experienced a first time berried shrimp dropping her eggs in the box. I keep the box running 24/7 to insure there is enough biofilm for the babies when they are born.

I use the same set up Andy medium box and always keep it running.  My adult shrimp dont like it much but then again I only put them in when the males are freaking out. She tries to get away and the male is all over her and theres no place for her to really go. I might try putting my Pinto in there when she has her babies to keep them separate and see what I get out of her.