Mayphly's Pinto Journal

mayphly

Congratulations! Great pictures, now the waiting game.

• 5 weeks later...

Well this was a fun journal to browse through on a Saturday morning!  Super excited to see your projects coming along nicely!  That little blue baby you posted a couple of pages back, I found one like it in my tibee tank two nights ago (haven't seen him since).  Very interested to locate the little booger again, he almost looked blue bolt-ish.  When I moved last year I did a bunch of switching around of tanks, that's when I sent you the tibees, I was trying to get the other tank up and running.  Now I have the 'closet' tank which is, of course, in my closet and houses a little bit of everything minus Taiwans (coming, just trying to budget!).  I've got all grades of CRS in there, CBS, mischlings, OEBT, tibees, and pseudo tibees.  Breeding took off a couple of months ago and I have about 150-200 babies in there right now I can't wait for some size to get on.  Some look like they may have the appearance of C grade CBS which I am very excited about if the pattern holds.  Perhaps when the babes get some size on them we can work a little trade up in the future:) 

Jaime, I'd totally be down for trading. Let me know when your ready. :)

I'm planning on seperating  these taitibee into three groups. Pinto, culls and the snowflake pattern ones. A few will breed back to the original parents and the others I'll have breeding amongst themselves. I have everything set up for the new rack except the tanks. (waiting for $1. a gallon sale).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I managed to seperate some taitibees yesterday and today. I placed the ones with the snowflake patterns into tank #6. Today I added a tester shrimp into tank #5. In this tank I'm planning on putting the ones with the nicest red colors in. Tank #4 is also done cycling as of today. I just need to adjust the parameters.

post-89-0-01646000-1436407985_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got around to seperating my taitibees. I seperated them into three groups. Yellows(snowflake/steele), reds, and random patterns(culls). The parents I left in the main tank to continue breeding.

Yellows

post-89-0-56940700-1437324063_thumb.jpg

Reds

post-89-0-41019000-1437324146_thumb.jpg

Random

post-89-0-13955200-1437324282_thumb.jpg

They are all so pretty. How true are they breeding?

Thanks! I'm not quite sure what you mean by "true". They're definitely not pintos breeding 100% true pintos yet by any means. They're still juvenile f1's (taitibees). I'm not really sure what to expect yet. I'm hoping the yellows will develop a stronger yellow and the reds more red. I'm sure there will be some oddballs mixed in that will need to be seperated. There were a few f1's that were already looking very close to pintos.

• 2 weeks later...

These f1 taitibee look to be sexually mature now. They are now 5 months old. I can't wait to see f2!

post-89-0-37272400-1438657698_thumb.jpg

Great looking shrimp Andy! I think we are all ready to see your F2, you have come out with some really nice TaiTibees. My Tibees finally are at the age, so I am hoping my first batch of TaiTibees are half as nice as yours.

• 4 weeks later...

So, my progress has been very slow and I haven't had anything new to really post about until today. I finally got my first berried taiti yesterday. It is one of the yellows. There's about 13 shrimp in the yellow tank and about half are females. I have more which I still need to transfer over. Hopefully within the next week a few more berried shrimp will show up. The original parents (there are 2 of them) are both berried at the moment. They have given me between 4-5 clutches of eggs each since March. Here's a not so good pic of the new berried yellow taitibee.

post-89-0-06275900-1440946984_thumb.jpg

Wow! I really like this TaiTibee, pattern looks incredible to me, especially all of the sparkles.