Selective breeding in limited space questions.

Hey everyone. I want to try a breeding project with my Royal blue tigers and my Shadow pandas. Currently I have a small colony of each housed in  a 20. However it's been about a month and a half and no crossing. I have little shrimps but they seem to only be breeding within their species.  I think I may need to select males and females of each and put them in a container in the tank for a better breeding scenario. My questions are first what is the best male to female ratio. Second what size container should I use in the tank? I was thinking of something similar to a guppy breeding box. So has anyone tried this project before any advice. Thanks everybody!!

neat question.   If you had 2  places to put them, you could do one with female tiger male panda,  and another with male tiger female panda  and see which comes out neater :)

If it were me I'd use a large Marina breeder box and place 3-5 males in with 1 or 2 female shadows and let them go at it. The large breeder box has dividers which you can use to try multiple ratios.

One and a half month is a very short time to see any outcome of a breeding project. The most you could have is F1. Have you seen the shrimplets? They should at most be only two weeks old.

If I wanted to ensure crossbreeding, I'd put two or three desired males with one female that has just molted or is about to molt in a breeder box. I'll have to spend more time looking at the tank to see if your males are swimming around but I'll usually be able to identify the correct female. Sometimes I put two in there if I'm unsure and usually one gets berried a few hours after molting. I release them as soon as I see a berried female. I haven't had much success with keeping them in breeder boxes as a long term solution.

Thanks everyone for your input!! I have seen shrimplets in the tank. So far they appear to be pure RBT, pandas and blue bolts. I expected the crossing to look more like the tigers, but with black eyes. However all the tigers look like they have orange eyes. I was going to try the separation at the next water change as they all get more active then. So the best ratio is two males to one female? I was going to put two royals with a shadow female and then two shadow males with a royal female. Any suggestions on the size of the breeder box? What is the max length they can stay in? How deep a layer of substrate should I put in the bottom? Thanks again Everyone!!

Thanks everyone for your input!! I have seen shrimplets in the tank. So far they appear to be pure RBT, pandas and blue bolts. I expected the crossing to look more like the tigers, but with black eyes. However all the tigers look like they have orange eyes. I was going to try the separation at the next water change as they all get more active then. So the best ratio is two males to one female? I was going to put two royals with a shadow female and then two shadow males with a royal female. Any suggestions on the size of the breeder box? What is the max length they can stay in? How deep a layer of substrate should I put in the bottom? Thanks again Everyone!!

I'd get a large Marina box since you could partition it 3 times(maybe more. I don't remember). When I used mine I only added moss and a little bit of IAL.  Maybe someone more experienced can chime in on the max length that they can stay in, but I don't think it's a long term solution since the flow isn't strong with an air pump.

I wouldn't want them to stay in too long. Just long enough that the females get berried. I know some of the more experienced breeders can tell when they are about to molt, but I can't. I watch my shrimp everyday and I just don't have the eye. Heck I thought a blue bolt I had was a male until I saw "he" was berried. Thanks again everyone for your input. I wanted to start this project for a while now. Though I am hoping the results will  mimic Shrimpy daddy's tibee project. Here's to hoping!

• 3 months later...

@jesseter, any update?

I have got same hesitations with you (limited space, limited eye hahaha etc...) I am not sure how I can find the correct time to catch my female to put in Marina breeder box. I mean ok I everday (after coming work) observe them, sometimes I see males' dancing to find the female but that's if I am lucky. Uff, selecting breeding is tought with limited space.

Well this project is at a standstill. I kept separating them and keeping them together even for longer periods of time, but to no avail. They just won't breed with one another. I know why breeders ask so much for some of their shrimp now. I am still trying even though at this point I think I am just kidding myself. I wish you better luck with your projects eozen81.