Dendrobatez Journal

Dendrobatez

Ya, I live on the bottom floor and first building of a condo/apartment complex and everyone that leaves the complex by walking has to go by my front door - that's a couple hundred people. No matter how many times I complain to the supervisor at the local Usps they still insist on leaving packages at my door, so I almost never even use the post office anymore. That plus the fact that I work dinner service at the restaurant means the package was probably there for a good 6-8 hours. I filed a claim but I doubt it will do anything, the most they have ever done for me is refund the shipping cost.

Anyone ever build a purigen reactor? I would kind of like to try building one in the line that will go from the pump to the top tank, or it could possibly work better built in the outflow from the top tank. It is supposed to work a lot better when moving freely like inside of a reactor.

20d8c7b70874793017d76d6c6ff24271.jpg

e4888d9600049e8e6494cb40d6fdfd75.jpg

Man... That Blue Bolt baby is going to look so amazing as an adult! I can already see the makings of a really beautiful bolt with amazing crowning on its head. It also has a nice distribution of blue markings throughout the body. It will grow up to be amazing. Keep us posted!

Got some plants from Han yesterday - Anubias petite, Mini Fissidens, Crypt Parva, and Trident Fern. There is also Dwarf Hairgrass (on the left) and Micro Sword (right) and I may take some of the reineckii out of my Blue bolt tank as it seems to be doing really well in there.

002_zpsqe9vixbh.jpg

007_zpsd2bgx5tp.jpg

Don't like where the Crypts are at the moment but I would rather not play with them too much lol

008_zpsn6cymh1k.jpg

Still need to find a couple nice pieces of driftwood for each side for moss. The bottom tank in this connected setup is just full of guppy grass and java moss at the moment so theres not much to show there.

Anyone ever build a purigen reactor? I would kind of like to try building one in the line that will go from the pump to the top tank, or it could possibly work better built in the outflow from the top tank. It is supposed to work a lot better when moving freely like inside of a reactor.

I tried it before. Too much trouble to remove them for recharging. And sometime if the pump is too strong, the water will push the Purigen into the tank. As such, I will recommend just use the bag that comes with the small pack Purigen and just recharge it every two weeks. In addition, if your Purigen is very effective, your plant will starve of nitrogen very easily. ;)

Think I finally figured out the hair algae in my main tank. The only two places it's been growing is on the substrate in the front left corner and on the tall hair grass right under the one light. The area of the substrate is right above the ugf so I started vaccing that spot well and it hasn't come back yet and the hairgrass was long and laying over so I've just been trimming it, I think the light should be raised up too because the plant gets too close

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure how I missed this journal, but I really like the time you put into creating your tank. Well done.

Yes it is, anubias petite

Just a reminder on something I discover recently. Many people claimed that anubias is toxic to shrimp. I did not believe because of no one could explain to me why.

Last year when I started to revamp all my high-light planted shrimp tank to medium-low light shrimp (old and my back can't withstand the hours of plant pruning), I started to use a lot of anubias petite for my tank. When I was pruning them (I have to prune a lot for create scape), my fingers became itchy and slightly swollen. I am highly allergic to vegetable that contains oxalate, such as spinach. The itchy and swollen symptom is similar to when I come in contact with plant with high oxalate. Hence, I think the anubias sap either contains high level of oxalate or may be really toxic like people claimed.

As such, if you are going to prune your anubias in the future, take them out of the tank and prune. After you prune them, soak them in dechlorinated water for a few days before putting back into the tank. This is to ensure it does not irritates your shrimp and may kill them. ;)