Shrimp tank cycling

Razzy

Untitled_zps684c17bb.png

Above are the latest water parameters. Ammonia looks to be about 0 But again it's still hard for me to see the diff between green and yellow.

Nitrite seems to def dropped from 5.0ppm to now 0ppm and today is the first for it to be 0 for nitrites

Nitrates is another story and it might be hard to tell but it's the darkest color, appearing to be 160ppm or off the charts.

Maybe it's cycled and I need to do a complete water change?

If that is the case wouldn't no water kill the bacteria on the sponge filter?

Since this will be my first ever shrimp tank, I wanted to start with cherry shrimp as I heard they were the hardiest (and I find them really cute and entertaining)

I was previously gonna buy them on ebay or amazon ( since no fish stores around me sell the shrimps and only have ghost shrimp)

If I'm able to purchase cherries on here that would be wonderful. I kinda trust people to sell on here rather than ebay or amazon.

I also just did a 20% water change to remove all the dead plant debris at the bottom of the gravel and other dead/food things.

The filter will be ok as long as it's kept moist and not allowed to dry out. The time it takes to do a water change will not damage the bacterial colony unless it is prolonged for some reason so make sure you set the time aside to do it when there will be no interruptions.

I reckon the nitrite is definitely 0 - difficult to tell the ammonia one as it needs to be against the white back ground next to the ammonia colours not over the coloured bit. It's near 0 if not actually 0. 

Don't forget the big water change when you are ready to purchase your shrimp.

I think the ammonia is 0 as well. I'm just gonna give it a few more days to see how the parameters hold up and hopefully I'll be able to purchase some red cherry's next week.

The water change should reduce the nitrates to a lower number and stay there right?

Also wanted to ask if anyone knows of a good seller of cherry shrimp on here? Thanks everyone.

It's not ready if there are nitrites still present. It mean they can't process it in 24 hrs. This is the problem when doing fish-in cycle - it takes much longer to achieve a fully cycled tank as the water has to be kept at a level safe for fish which essentially removes the bacteria's food which slows down the growth, whereas the fishless way there's nothing to harm so it doesn't matter if there are nitrites present or how high the nitrates get until that final water change before adding shrimp/fish or whatever livestock is selected. Shrimp are more sensitive to water parameters than most fish so you need to get it right before adding them.

OR you could add another decent dose of Safe Start and then add the shrimp and then keep a very close eye on the water parameters and using Prime as a back- up if any of them spike.

I believe i can yeah. I'll look into it.

My water parameters held fine for a few days (ammonia and nitrite were 0 and nitrate was still spiked)

So I assumed it was cycled and did a 90% water change to help remove all the excess nitrates.

So now my parameters read
Ammonia: 0.50 ppm

Nitrite: spiked ot 5.0ppm

Nitrate: no change stilled spiked up and didnt go down.

I was told the water change would help reduce the excess nitrates but it's still up there.

Is this supposed to happen? Why did removing almost all the water spike up everything?

Do I have to give it a day or so for the water chemistry and readings to stabilize ?

Thanks again.

I am in the same boat. Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate ~10ppm. Did a 95% water change (only water in substrate remained) and nitrates were back at ~10ppm later that night. Going to do another large water change this weekend. I have alot of shrimp on hold awaiting these cycled tanks.

Same.

I'm beginning to doubt my self now.

I don't know whats going on. The parameters held for a couple days but after the water change everythings rising.

Can anyone help/ leave some input?

I'm kinda wanting to buy another tetra safestart bottle to use..

Yeah I would keep doing regular water changes maybe 50% every other day. Until nitrates come down to a reasonable level like 10-20. Do you still have the fish in there? If so how's it doing?

My fish seem to be doing fine. It's not acting out of the ordinary. I'll do those 50% water changes. Thanks for the reply.

I tested my water out of the tap just to make sure my test kit was not bugged or anything. Did disturbing the substrate make the spike happen?

It's possible disturbing the substrate could cause some fluctuations but not like that. I think you just need to keep at it like we've said the fish in cycle takes longer. When you are testing the nitrates make sure you are shaking the #2 bottle really well, I whack mine on table upside down really hard.

I think the fact that you have no ammonia or nitrite and 10 ppm nitrate shows that you have both sets of bacteria working. 10 ppm NO3 isn't high altho it is probably the top end of comfortable for the shrimp.

API nitrate/NO3 test is notoriously difficult to use properly/effectively as RyeGuy mentioned so I use Salifert for the nitrate as it's a lot easier and more reliable altho I still use API for the others - NH3/4, NO2 and pH.

Safe Start is probably ok for adding shrimp straight off as they don't produce much waste, but fish do produce more. Make sure there's no detached/rotting leaves etc that could be adding to the load.

Razzy, if you are seeing nitrites and nitrates, in any concentration, then you already have the right bacteria. What you do not have is enough of them to process the amount of waste that is being generated each day. As time passes, the bacteria will multiply until there are enough to handle your bioload.

I have in the past used Safestart myself with good results. However, I do hear from time to time that other people have not had the same success with it. So I think it is very possible that quality varies from batch to batch.

Have patience and do water changes. You will get there. And please see if someone can take that poor oto, as the elevated ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates are very harmful even if you do not see their effects.

I might have to give them in to a petco or local fish store.

Petco for some reason (at least the ones ive visited) won't take the fish back without a receipt ? and I do not have that.

And it's realy hard for me to find any lfs here.. but I'll try to rehome the oto.

I also purchased seachem purigen just to replace my activated carbon in the filter media chamber.

Thanks guys.

So if im not mistaken the Spec V has a large filter compartment.  Is there room to put a 3x3" bag of purigen?  That could help you minimize the excess nitrates. 

I just recently purchased a bag from amazon and put it into my filter compartment.

That should help to absorb the nitrates and also any excess amonia and nitrites.  With the swings you are having and if you are unable to remove the fish just be patient I would wait another month before adding shrimp just to be safe.