Food for color - or non color

My snowball neos are arriving tomorrow. I never thought about any possible food affecting their coloring but now I am wondering.

I have moss in the tank and IAL, I also bought this food http://www.ebay.com/itm/121474878599?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT    and I'm getting some alder cones.

Is there any food that would ruin/impede their white/clear coloring? 

I would venture to say that food is full of fish meal and looks like it gets soft and mushy and makes a mess.

be careful to not over feed because it will foul your water quickly.

best to go with a quality trusted food developed for bee shrimp over some ebay food used for shrimp farming.

Do you have recommendations? Someone local recommended that kind as he uses it for his shrimp. There are so many options it's hard to sort them out by just reading up on them... ugh. lol

im personally a fan of mk breeds food line

I always recommend to people buying food and/or supplements for their shrimp to buy quality. I believe you get what you pay for. That being said I second countryboy in purchasing MK-Breed, I also use Cologne Shrimp Food and EBITA Breed.

ok, I looked up the mk and it says they are for crystals, also there are color specific foods (ugh...ha ha). I need a good staple for a snowball neo before branching out. One that is quality, well rounded and won't mess with their color

I've been to several sights and http://www.hanaquatics.com/foods/  it's a bit mind boggling.

I do want quality, I only got the one I posted because of a recommendation. 

I feel your pain Crazyfishlady.  It is all overwhelming at first.  Hanaquatics is a super dealer and I bet if you send him a message here he can help you choose a food for whatever you have in your tank.  You can find him in the sponsers list in the forum catagories.  He also sells nifty sample packs for just a couple bucks each so you can try out a couple or few kinds , see what your shrimp like and  give them a varied diet. A couple sample packs would probably last you months unless you have a TON of shrimp.   I know alot of shrimp vary the diets including fresh vegies .   I bet if you did a search on this site about shrimp food you would get some valuable hits.  

I don't know about snowballs since technically the white is caused by "lack" of color, however I know in my neos astaxanthin caused bad colors to happen.  I have recently been feeding the new omniapro because it has no astaxanthin, and things have been working well.  The old omniapro has astaxanthin though, so whomever you buy it from- be sure to ask if it has it listed in the ingredients or not.

I used to think spirulina dulled the color of my shrimp, however recent trials have not shown that for me.

Thank you all! And yes, it is very overwhelming at first. :) Soothing I will watch out for astaxanthin since I was concerned about food messing with the coloring.

Right now I am on pins and needles and worried about the delivery and welfare of the shrimp.

They were sent out tuesday night from NE - sent 2 day priority and... according to the tracking... they still haven't even made it to my state yet. Freaking out a bit.

Well I hope they are REALLY hardy - they still haven't arrived. It looks like tomorrow. Which means they will have been in transit for 6 days :( I am not expecting to have them survive. I feel so bad for the little guys.

The seller sent it 2 day priority mail, the tracking says it should have been delivered friday. As of today it is still in transit.

Not looking good :(

Well surprise surprise... they arrived and NO DOAs!!!! They sure are tough little buggers!

So, now I have about 15 snowball neos very happily zipping around their new tank. I bet they are glad that trip is over! :)

post-507-0-88118800-1418095167_thumb.jpg

post-507-0-62713200-1418095172_thumb.jpg

post-507-0-05506200-1418095177_thumb.jpg

Thank you! I am so excited! And Han is sending me some samples of food without the astaxanthin  (Thank you Han and thank you soothing for pointing that out!!) and I have some alder cones that are now in there. So... deep breath... hopefully they love their new home and I can learn about shrimp care and... maybe babies one day! :D

Thank you for all of your help here too, you are all great!

molt already? Good or bad? I was shocked and thought I had a few dead shrimp but realized it wasn't a full 'shrimp'. wow

Also, they had been ignoring (completely) that other shrimp food pellet I had gotten. I thought they weren't hungry or worried they couldn't find the feeding dish and I had to suction it out as it got icky.

Han's samples came today (hurray) and I plopped in a small piece of snowflake. Within minutes the shrimp had not only found it in the feeding dish, but they were devouring it! :) I was shocked and happy! I will be trying some of the others, but snowflake is definitely on my shopping list now!