Must Have Items to keep TB Long Term

Tobe

I am in the process of setting up a Taiwan Bee / Mischling tank and wanted to make sure I have everything before I actually start. I did some research so far but they were from awhile back and with time, practices tend to change.

So far I've made a list from researching on things i need to get.. If you have something that you feel is a necessity or will benefit TB's please let me know so I can add it to the list of things to get. 

Fish Tank (12 Gallon Mr. Aqua Long)

Sponge Filter

Eheim 2213 Canister Filter

Air Pump

Heater

Beamswork LED on Timer

Thermometer

PH and TDS meters

PH, GH, KH, Nitrite, Nitrate test kits

ADA Aquasoill Amazonia

RO/DI Unit

Saltyshrimp Bee Shrimp Mineral GH+

Cholla Wood

Indian Almond Leaves

Moss

Floaters

For foods I am not sure what to get. I'm leaning towards blanched organic spinach  as a staple.

I know water chemistry should be somewhere near

Temp - 72

TDS - 150

PH - 6-6.5

GH - 5

KH - 0

Nitrite - 0

Nitrate - As low as possible

Thanks in advance!

You have it spot on Re: parameters , as stated patience is important , these shrimp don`t like change in parameters.

I would add bacteria powder to shopping list , i use Azoo nitripro & nitriact after water changes it lasts ages usually sold in a 2 x tub pack.

and a food with Beta-G  Genchem do one , Borneo Wild Shield is another good product to add after water changes.

You have it spot on Re: parameters , as stated patience is important , these shrimp don`t like change in parameters.

I would add bacteria powder to shopping list , i use Azoo nitripro & nitriact after water changes it lasts ages usually sold in a 2 x tub pack.

and a food with Beta-G  Genchem do one , Borneo Wild Shield is another good product to add after water changes.

That Azoo combo pack will launch your TDS to the moon. you should be careful when using that combo pack.  

I'm curious why you use it with water changes?  isnt the point of a water change to remove things that are putting your parameters out of the ideal zone?

I'd recommend less changes and skipping out on the Azoo combo pack and see how your shrimp respond.

my personal view is dont touch things unless you have to. if your parameters are fine then why change the water. you are screwing with stability.

my rack system has only had 1 water change in almost a year and this was only done to remove sludge in the sump.

That Azoo combo pack will launch your TDS to the moon. you should be careful when using that combo pack. 

It does`nt affect TDS much at all + 1 or 2 points is all , its good for replacing bacteria lost due to W.C. , as its dormant bacteria, i have noticed a huge improvement since using it , everyone to their own i suppose  , i was only stating what works for me  . i have only a 80ltr  so i need to do 5% -10% W.C. every 2wks.

I agree that everyone has their own success so I can only share what has work for me. 

I don't do WC just like Eric and I top-off with pure RO. my parameters are rock solid with only real change been temps. If I add my Bacter AE too often then I get TDS jumps so I limit the use to maybe a tiny bit every 3-4 weeks. 

I've seen a couple people use bacteria powder when they first start up the tank they sprinkle it over the substrate. So far i've seen them use Mosura BT-9. Has anyone used this product or used something similar? 

I used BT-9 at start of cycle work great. I just place down a layer of substrate then add the BT-9 and cover with a second layer. 

I personally like BT-9 and Bact AE but with limited use.

I know what you should totally get.   I mean,  they are not a must have but they are so cheap  and so beneficial, why not?   Alder cones!     My mischlings love them.   I don't have enough in there to change the PH or brown the water but  the few I do have in there always have a mischling or two on them .   

I did some more reading and i've seen people use banana leaves, mulberry leaves, indian bark, cinnamon bark, alder cones, anything special with each one or do they all do the same thing as indian almond leaves

please check out this short article about leaf litter.

http://www.discobee.com/blogs/news/15655129-benefits-of-leaf-litter-in-shrimp-tanks

So are all your tanks water brownish from the tannins?

no my water is generally clear, i have about 2-3 IAL per tank, usually a single guava leaf (these last MONTHS) and mulberry from time to time for food.