Recipe for biofilm/probiotic

Sorry, only have it in Chinese....1 kg of this stuff makes  3 tons of the final product... it's used for fish/shrimp ponds in large scale, and smaller bottles are very expensive when marketing for aquarium use.

After you read it (google translate should work), you will know why I didn't do it.... it's cheap all right, but too much work and too messy for me.

http://www.biojz.com/product/yangzhi/2013/1223/1829.html

That stuff looks pretty promising and it does say "This special combination of components complements your nutrition and management program for animals of all ages and species."   I would assume this would work for shrimp since they are included in all species lol. 

I found this, which is intriguing- but it doesn't list ingredients that I can see.  Would be very cheap to use as a probiotic base though.

post-2-0-69274700-1418872409.jpg

Can anyone read the company name? for $6 for 50g I may give this a try.

I still don't know ingredients though.  I'm hoping the company website may list them.

Would something like Bragg's liquid Amino's be of any use? It is very mild. I eat it almost everyday, food source amino acids as opposed to concentrated powders seem to be easier/safer to assimilate with out side effects. And it is easy to get and not expensive. It lists 16 amino acids.

Alanine

Arginine

Aspartic Acid

Glutamic Acid

Glycine

Histidine

Isoleucine

Leucine

Methionine

Phenylalanine

Proline

Serine

Threonine

Tyrosine

Valine

Lysine

http://bragg.com/products/bragg-liquid-aminos-soy-alternative.html

Soothing- do a search on alibaba you will find tons of things made in china.  Try "shrimp probiotics" "probiotic powder" or " baccillus" or "lacto" you get the idea, you can buy it from grams to tons.  While I am sure there are sources in north america, lets face it farming shrimp is very popular in asia.  There are probiotic and betaglucan used by the drum in powder and liquid that gets dumped into aquaculture ponds for fish and shrimp.  My guess is you can find what you need for a couple US dollars per Kilo, the issue will be finding a small enough amount as most will want to bulk order you a pallet or more.  

I LOVE THIS FORUM.

Hey, if you want any horse probiotics, I'd split some so I could test them on my rabbits!

I'm going to test the Fast Track horse probiotic and Bragg Liquid Aminos. The combo sounds pretty awesome.

Chib- I'm up to splitting the cost with ya on the probiotics.  I'll pm ya.

I think there are stuff that works significantly better if it's eaten by shrimps, such as amino acid type of elements, and things like calcium. What works well just being in water should be those that enhance the microorganism (or biofilm if you like this term better) growth/balance. Any commercial food should have everything your shrimps need, so the more important factor for the tank to be successful or not is the balanced chemistry/ecology in the tank.

I sell some of these products but to be honest I can tell you none of them is necessary. I have tanks that shrimps would breed like crazy in them even when I only feed them food and do nothing for bacteria, so if it works for me in multiple tanks, it should work for you too. if you do want to use these product to enhance your tank, make sure you know what it is and even better to know how it works, otherwise, you're better off not using any.