Starting my first tank help

Thank so much I will definitely buy it now I brought ph meter today and my ph is a little high and the other is normal that doesn't include the gh kh and tds yet will get at Amazon

chibikaie i will taking good care of shrimp also I getting the shrimp in February so I don't have to get everything now I will get all the supply before shrimp arrive and I don't think your comment is very nice and it a little hurtful to me

You said you were from PA? How are there green leafy trees out side your window if you live in Pennsylvania?  Where you live in the country can help us determine what type of tap water you might have. 

You said you bought a pH meter? Is it digital? And what was the reading?

Yes I do live I pa, I don't know I didn't plant the tree but all the tree near my house it all green right now. So I am near royerford and 1 hour away from philies

Yes I brought a ph meter and yes it digital the reading is 7.5 for the ph

I didnt realize you were so far south and in the tank picture the back ground trees looked like a jungle.  In this picture I can see some trees have their leaves and others dont.  To wash the tank you can scrub it with clear vinegar (white).  Then rinse thourougly, that should be fine.

How exciting - I am having an internal struggle with going to petco today. I keep telling myself 'you only have room for the 5 gallon you wanted' but I don't trust myself with that sale going on :D

I am very new to shrimp and everyone here is so helpful, you will do great and can't wait to see pics and I will look for your log to follow :)

Hi there. It sounds like you are starting to take people's advice, which was my intention.

I don't intend to be mean or hurtful, but I wanted you to understand that it isn't the right thing to do to get any living creature and then not take care of them properly.

I hear a lot of first time (or even experienced) shrimp and fish owners who are confronted with "mysterious" deaths that are easily and quickly traced back to poor water quality. Their first reaction upon hearing that they need to buy a test kit and not trust the free testing at the pet store? "But it's so expensive!" And yet, skipping that purchase is how they got into trouble.

I'm glad that you are getting the right testing equipment. You do need it.

Here picture of the tree one is a American hollow (maybe I don't know for sure) and other look like Christmas tree

That tree close to the house looks like American Holly. They don't always have berries. Need another male/female close by for pollination. Don't use those leaves.

Oak leaves are not hard to find. They work great. Some oaks will still have leaves on the tree this time of year. They dry on the tree but don't always drop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey fish lady, I think petco has a tank kit on sale.

I went and the only 5ish gallon tanks petco had were the fancy/expensive fluval kind. So I went to petsmart, they were also selling bare tanks for $1 a gallon, but I got a 5.5 cheap set up....um...and a few other things...ugh. lol

Yes I do have well water but we never use it and it really hard to pump the water so if I use the tap water what kind of coniditioner do I use prime or tetra .also do they both do the work the same.

Crazy fish lady awesome. I was thinking getting a 5.5 gallon but my petco sold out then my dad convince me to get me the 20 gallon. my petsmart doesn't sell tank bare bottom tank which suck. Lucky you,I wish my petsmart have bare bottom tank too