Ellen Wang E-Class

Ch3fb0yrdee

Sorry, didn't mean to cause a confusion. 

I'm sure someone out there did purchase the higher end or what they call competition grade shrimps. It takes a lot of culling and luck to produce those shrimps, so their prices are insane. Maybe with luck and heavy culling, I can produce shrimps that are similar, since they are from the same gene pool after all. 

Probably next week I will clean my tank, and try to take a better pic with my macro lens. 

The color of leg would be red in most of cases.

E-2:

attachicon.gifEllen-2.jpg

The reason why I asked about the yellow/pinkish color is that in this photo that references Ellen Wangs E2 (supposed to be her 2nd tier shrimps) the group shows pinkish. I'm wondering if this is a recurring trait among a selected group of shrimps or is something Ellen Wang keeps. Or am I just colored blind?  LOL. 

Hino are usually the pattern desired.  As for yellowing/pinkish colored shells, you will not see that from any high grade prl breeder.  

Dont forget prl/pbl is just a term to describe a shrimp where a snow white wasnt used to improve the white quality.

so these will breed 100% true.  You may see some yellowing/pinkish coloring from lower quality prl or people trying to use the name prl. there is a reason why some are $20 and others are $200+  The standards high grade breeders use is well beyond what any of us in the US do.

I've been told by a few different well known breeders they wont even sell their prl culls. One even told me he takes them and feeds fish with them.

i was shown some of these shrimp that didnt have such a glorious life, and they were better than most anything we can get. Thats how high their standards are for culling.

Its another whole level.  And we are years behind.

I suppose then the offcolor is a position/rank reversed for the utmost highest ranked (seems like E1 as the E2 shows tints of Yellow/Pink in their colors from photos provided by James. Now, this could be a good or bad thing, it's all in the eye of the buyer.

I say pattern has not effect in grading because I think in her standards she might see less color development in the v or tiger tooth. So she discloses this so people are not confused why they might only get those. But it is color intensity, depth of color and solidness of color as well as thickness and devekopement of shell.

I'm not sure how true this is.  I find that shrimps with Tiger's Tooth - Hino patterns demonstrates the highest colors quality, could be wrong as I'm not competition winner and am only speaking from personal experience.

I will recommend MK-Breed PRL even you can get Ellen Wang.

F&N PRL is also pretty good.

Regarding grading.

pattern is separate factor, and only affects price.

Mosura is always one grade higher than Hinomaru if coloration is same quality.

So many brands now, I don't think anyone has the tanks to keep up with 'em.  LOL! I think we should all collect a brand and then trade it around. 

Photo of high end F&N PRL:

attachicon.gif02563201pa9wn4a0nwrj04.jpg

No offense, the photo looks to be worked. It's brighten from the top down which whitens the colors of the shrimp's shells. It's almost no different than photos taken with an iPhone albet with more detail.

I personally keep MK Breed PRL, I first saw these shrimps while browsing around on Facebook looking for shrimp breeders in Taiwan. I was amazed at how white and thick the shells were, and the colors of the legs. 

attachicon.gif10444007_656131227796070_8379053930178390856_n.jpgattachicon.gif10432486_653729334702926_1377904068351867694_n.jpg

I picked up 10 of them, and its been in my tank for about 2 months now. One of them is definitely a female, with nice solid white body, and thick shells. Hopefully soon they will start breeding, and I can get a colony going. 

Did you hand picked or picked up? I was curious about our new shrimp sponser from LA. I live in northen CA and could easily go down to LA, but strangely never found the urge... If you got a chance to hand pick from their imports that would be a interesting thing.

Sorry, didn't mean to cause a confusion. 

I'm sure someone out there did purchase the higher end or what they call competition grade shrimps. It takes a lot of culling and luck to produce those shrimps, so their prices are insane. Maybe with luck and heavy culling, I can produce shrimps that are similar, since they are from the same gene pool after all. 

Probably next week I will clean my tank, and try to take a better pic with my macro lens. 

Did the imported import competition grade shrimp? Usually they don't do this. They would normally buy from the winning breeder but usually never shrimps that actually win competitions themselves ans it  would be too expensive and/or the breeder wouldn't sell their prize winner.

All very interesting stuff.  Keep em coming guys.

Are you able to show us the close-up and high definition pictures of your collection EW's shrimp?

sure, but to be fair I no longer call them EW shrimp. they are under my control/cull/etc now. so its not ok with me to call them EW anymore.

and this should be the same for anybody else who buys shrimp. once they leave the breeders control they are YOUR line.

i'm far from a good at taking photos.. 

(these have all been posted a few times in different places)

14331279902_6f21664dca_b.jpg

14413745432_dbf7c8eaa3_b.jpg

14413869014_647572b8d5_b.jpg

14197868652_cfe7e23993_o.png

video of them enjoying SL-Aqua MORE Meat

https://flic.kr/p/oXhyDH

I see. I thought you bought those shrimp in the breeder's photos.

I would love to see photos of highest/ second highest grade shrimp of those big brands, but taken by the keeper and not the breeder.

A problem with that is some won't have the gear or skill to take as good as a picture as you.  Like me, I have $10K worth of gear at my disposal but lack the skill and/or patience to capture a quality photograph.

No, Ellen Wang PRL is pure white, like China white.

This is the recent photo I took of my Ellen Wang, but you have to see by person for the actual coloration:

10872768_1528206850796029_87382216006924

That's a really beautiful hino no-entry you have there James. Great stuff mate.

I saw you that have the 105mm nikkor micro which is a 1:1 lens. It's capable to taking really good macros.

Less light from flash up top and you'll see more of the shrimps actual colors.

A problem with that is some won't have the gear or skill to take as good as a picture as you. Like me, I have $10K worth of gear at my disposal but lack the skill and/or patience to capture a quality photograph.

That's very true Ron. I bought my camera thinking having the right equipment would let me take amazing photos, nope. Got smacked back into reality.

Sort of similar to having good shrimps and bad parameters. There's too many variables involved and it's best to have an all around balance.

Did the imported import competition grade shrimp? Usually they don't do this. They would normally buy from the winning breeder but usually never shrimps that actually win competitions themselves ans it  would be too expensive and/or the breeder wouldn't sell their prize winner.

No, the importer did not import competition grade shrimp for the reasons you stated, but it is available for pre-order for those who are interested. 

Did you hand picked or picked up? I was curious about our new shrimp sponser from LA. I live in northen CA and could easily go down to LA, but strangely never found the urge... If you got a chance to hand pick from their imports that would be a interesting thing.

I live about 15 min away from the importer's warehouse, so I went over and I hand picked the ones I want myself out of the tank. You can actually hand pick any of the shrimps he sells, it's well worth the trip, and sets him apart vs buying online. 

sure, but to be fair I no longer call them EW shrimp. they are under my control/cull/etc now. so its not ok with me to call them EW anymore.

and this should be the same for anybody else who buys shrimp. once they leave the breeders control they are YOUR line.

i'm far from a good at taking photos.. 

(these have all been posted a few times in different places)

14331279902_6f21664dca_b.jpg

14413745432_dbf7c8eaa3_b.jpg

14413869014_647572b8d5_b.jpg

14197868652_cfe7e23993_o.png

video of them enjoying SL-Aqua MORE Meat

https://flic.kr/p/oXhyDH

Thanks for sharing. :D

A problem with that is some won't have the gear or skill to take as good as a picture as you.  Like me, I have $10K worth of gear at my disposal but lack the skill and/or patience to capture a quality photograph.

Practice makes perfect. ;)

Maybe we should start a thread to do camera skill / trick sharing. In this way, everyone will be able to learn and share beautiful shrimp photos. :D

No, Ellen Wang PRL is pure white, like China white.

This is the recent photo I took of my Ellen Wang, but you have to see by person for the actual coloration:

10872768_1528206850796029_87382216006924

Beautiful shrimp and picture you have there. Based on the high level bokeh and overly exposed, I think your Aperture is too wide open. If you reduce the Aperture by 1 to 2 full stop (increase the F number by 1 times to 2), your picture will be perfect. ;)

Thanks for sharing. :D

Always!!!

Beautiful shrimp and picture you have there. Based on the high level bokeh and overly exposed, I think your Aperture is too wide open. If you reduce the Aperture by 1 to 2 full stop (increase the F number by 1 times to 2), your picture will be perfect. ;)

BOKEH!!! hahaha

My EXIF:

D600 200mm F22 ISO100 1/200s 

SB800 at full power

I see. Then you must have placed it at the closest focusing distance.

Did you buy that lens for shrimp taking or you are using it mainly for other purpose? That's a pretty long focusing length lens to be use for aquarium.

Just for shrimp photography. mostly people use much modern AF-s Micro 105mm/f2.8G. only few folks know this one.

I like the extra working distance.

I see. That's interesting to know. It's all personal preference, and there is no right or wrong. ;)

Are you using flashlight, continuous light or strobe light? To shoot at F22, the light source will have to be very strong.

I have both monolight and strobe. the photo in previous post is with Nikon SB800 in full power (no TTL). I just put it on the cover glass with wireless trigger.

It was 10 gallon tank, so from strobe to shrimp is about 10"

I see. Does your shrimp get a shock from such a strong light? Some of my shrimps are annoyed by them. 

I like you that previous photo. If it is less exposed, it will be perfect. :D Maybe you should use Lightroom and reduce the exposure. Would love to see it. ;)

Well, it seems not bothering them, but I only take few shots, the less the better.

I practice my skill and setup with culls.

• 2 months later...