favorite air driven filter

What is your favorite air driven filter? I am looking to revamp my filtration (maybe not right now but getting ideas).  I have only used the dual sponge design like this:

41zyPR81rrL_SX425__zps3b8f3215.jpg

But they are pretty bulky in a tank and I find they clog very easily. There are various styles, sponge only, or ones that hold media too. What ones do you like and use in your tanks?

standard dual sponge filter. you get good surface movement from if you put the top about 50% out of the water and when you clean them you can rotate 1 sponge 1 month the other the next so you arent shocking your system.

dual sponges, ugf, and hmf combo is how i started building all my new tanks.

• 3 weeks later...

For me I consider HMF and sponge filters two separate things.

For HMF stick with Poret and JetLifter Large when possible.

For sponge the dual sponge filter are my choice but I generally avoid "no-name" ones as the quality of the sponge can vary greatly.

I would rank them as follows

1. Tetra

2. Sera

3. AZOO oxygen plus Bio-filter #2

The tetra and Sera are no really available in north America

In Asia, especially among Japanese breeders the tetra ones are the standard. They come in 3 sizes I believe. Sera looks similar; both have green tubes so they match the eheim classic filters.

Azoo is the only ones of the three we can get. I used them in all my previous tanks.. Good sponge and very good deal as they come with a spare set of sponge (or at least they should - ebay sell might take them out as sell them separately)

For an air driven sponge you don't want it too dense as it will clog too quickly and affect the flow.

I used to order the Azoo sponge filters from Drs. Foster and Smith before I switched to Swiss Tropicals' Poret foam. They did not come with an extra replacement sponge, but you could order them separately. They were a better price than Lee's or Deep Blue, and came in more size options. Not sure how they compare these days.

I used to order the Azoo sponge filters from Drs. Foster and Smith before I switched to Swiss Tropicals' Poret foam. They did not come with an extra replacement sponge, but you could order them separately. They were a better price than Lee's or Deep Blue, and came in more size options. Not sure how they compare these days.

I think only the #2 model comes with spare sponges, at least mine did. I ordered around 20 of them from Dr. Foster & Smith a couple of years ago and all of them came with 4 extra sponges (1 set) inside the box. Maybe that's how pack it from the factory to save space and shipping costs and Dr. Foster & smith forgot to take them out when they sold them...lol

Maybe they smarted up and remove the extra sponges now.

• 1 month later...

I have made my own DIY version of the tower block filter.. Hands down its the best filter i have ever used. Easy to move easy to clean easy to set up really effective and pretty simple to make. Made 20 in 2 days ready to use. The fist one got way to mouch air and sucked up some of the floating plants a litlle adjustment and every thing is perfect..

• 3 weeks later...

Has anybody tried the tower block filters from Swiss Tropicals?

I have migrated all of my non-Ehiem based tanks over to the Tower block filter.  They have been working really well for me, and I have been quite happy with the performance.  I need to clean out the lift tube near the air holes about every 3-4 months, but that is quite easy.  Aside from that maintenance, just let them do their thing.

I got mine from Angelfish Plus.

I used those back the days I bred angelfish.

Now I use 30ppi 4.25" black cube sponge filter with slate base.

Cost only 4.85 if you order 10. it's cheaper than SwissTropicals.

I got mine from Angelfish Plus.

I used those back the days I bred angelfish.

Now I use 30ppi 4.25" black cube sponge filter with slate base.

Cost only 4.85 if you order 10. it's cheaper than SwissTropicals.

are the 4.25 filters a good size for 10 gallon tanks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

are the 4.25 filters a good size for 10 gallon tanks?

It's so great that I even use only one in 29 gallon with hundreds of CRS, so it's easy to do with 10G.

Good to know.. I just upgraded to an 1744 gph air pump and will be needing more sponges. I might check these out. Thanks!