Other Forums

Archie1208

A question for the old timers in the aquatics hobbies. I get the impression that TSS was sort of started from a dissatisfaction with other forums. My limited experience has shown me (at least) one other forum was full of hot air...newbs were kind of shut out.

Am I correct? Me experience here has been polarly opposite of the other site - meaning TSS is inviting, inclusive, welcoming, etc.

Just curious about your experiences.

Thanks again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is the first forum I've posted on been a member of several. One of the other forums I was a member of was an older forum about large predatory freshwater fish and when it started it was a great place everybody swapping ideas and experiences nowadays it's people fighting constantly and just arguing in general

Yes there are a fair number of us that have permanent and temporary bans from another forum in particular (TPT) for calling out admins or conducting business that is not banned but in conflict with other admins business.

But that is all in the past.

I was curious of this. I noticed that there's a mod there that conducted a lot of shrimp related sales, diy foods, and he/she (ya'll probably know who) seems to be able to conduct their business with impunity.

I never really sold shrimp related goodies until recently but the damage and reputation of The Planted Tank has been great impacted due to such one-sidedness.

Is this the case? There's no one on The Planted Tank to even ask. Lol!!

the rule @ TPT is you can not direct people to your own personal site/store, you have do business within the site via paypal.

ask me how I figured this one out. ;)

Lol! How did you figure it out my friend. But the no redirecting of sales to other websites makes sense. If you do that you could cancel sub when you've grown enough, no?

Didn't sponsors have the luxury to redirect sales?

One of the mods (possibly admin) there sells DIY food. When I tried to sell DIY food I was instantly perma-banned. :huh:

Banned Hammer dropped without explanation?

Think I can only recall 1 mod selling diy shrimp food. Tried it... Shrimps ignored it. His "PRL" loves his food though. [emoji39]

Well, I was temp banned. Then I messaged the mod in question and said (literally) : "Can you tell me why I was banned so that I don't do it in the future?" And then the next day was perma banned for quote "threatening a moderator."

Lol! How did you figure it out my friend. But the no redirecting of sales to other websites makes sense. If you do that you could cancel sub when you've grown enough, no?

Didn't sponsors have the luxury to redirect sales?

Banned Hammer dropped without explanation?

Think I can only recall 1 mod selling diy shrimp food. Tried it... Shrimps ignored it. His "PRL" loves his food though. [emoji39]

I dont know, every time i've broke any of their magic rules it was pretty easy to figure out why after.

I bet there was something more to it then you just selling your own DIY foods that got you banned..

paying for a sponsor section is super pricey, but once you get a section you sure can direct as much as you want.

you are free to do what you want in your or section. you can even have a signature advertising products etc.

you gotta pay to play thats why they crack down on so many outside sales.

I decided to start this forum after more and more people started having more problems with TPT and I figured we needed a good shrimp forum.  At the time shrimpnow was also pretty dead and overrun with spam.  Soothing also helped convinced me ;)

This is the only forum I visit now.  I love this forum.  The others were never welcoming very much to newbies. I have learned so much here and the members are so kind.  Thank you all

yup thats about it.

Even with sponsorship you can only post in your own section.

Sponsorship has there own set of rules, that they dont tell you until they ban you haha

But YES thats all in the past now...

Well, I was temp banned. Then I messaged the mod in question and said (literally) : "Can you tell me why I was banned so that I don't do it in the future?" And then the next day was perma banned for quote "threatening a moderator."

That's pretty awful. If I received a temp ban, if ask why as well. They have some really strict rules for members but mods seems to have too reign. It's a sure way to drive folks away.

The Planted Tank -> Invert section is like the least updated section on The Planted Tank. It's a ghost town. I still update there for some folks who likes to see my photos but it's pretty slow in terms of traffic.

Instead of catering to their supporting members, The Planted Tank seems to have alienated them. Instead of policing their mods to enforce fairness, their mods police the members.

all good to know.  i started out at tpt but came here and everyone is awesome on this site.  shrimpnow seemed like it was a good place at some point in time...now it appears to be a ghost town as well...there is also now dwarfshrimp.net.  i thought about inviting those folks here since it is basically the same content and conversations, but i figured to leave it alone since it could be the same situation where they left for reasons unknown to me. 

Thanks to all who answer my stupid questions and take part in this.  i appreciate all i have learning since joining this site.

I hadn't heard of dwarfshrimp.net, who started that one?

I decided to start this forum after more and more people started having more problems with TPT and I figured we needed a good shrimp forum. At the time shrimpnow was also pretty dead and overrun with spam. Soothing also helped convinced me ;)

Glad u did. This is the forum I am most active on and I hope to see it grow.

I never knew of dwarfshrimp.net but it looks like a few of us here are already there, and as sponsors too!!

I frequent shrimpkeepingforum as they're a bit international and have folks from EU. Some threads are just a big brainstorming pot of ideas about great shrimp keeping among folks I really admire and look up to.

I hadn't heard of dwarfshrimp.net, who started that one?

not sure.  it looks fairly new.

I never knew of dwarfshrimp.net but it looks like a few of us here are already there, and as sponsors too!!

I frequent shrimpkeepingforum as they're a bit international and have folks from EU. Some threads are just a big brainstorming pot of ideas about great shrimp keeping among folks I really admire and look up to.

im going to check that  out ...hadnt heard of it yet.

This is really right my alley. Give me some names and I'll go troll and ask really annoying questions (more annoying than usual). Under an alias of course. See how long it takes to get kicked off

Ha....been there TPT, got banned....yup for not keeping my mouth shut about someone, and dissed for a lot of things, so left.

I like this forum as it has people on here that supported me and gave me the time of day.  Great forum, great people who listen to your problems, or experiences and don't tell you, you don't know what your talking about.  Glad I joined, Ive already learned a lot more on DIY and other things from just browsing the posts.

Shrimpers are a different breed of people and its nice to be able to share our experiences/failures in this Hobby.

thanks for starting this.

I decided to start this forum after more and more people started having more problems with TPT and I figured we needed a good shrimp forum.  At the time shrimpnow was also pretty dead and overrun with spam.  Soothing also helped convinced me ;)

Well I very much appreciate this forum, which I found by accident.

the rule @ TPT is you can not direct people to your own personal site/store, you have do business within the site via paypal.

ask me how I figured this one out. ;)

It's ridicules at TPT that you can only post one sale thread once a month. unless you're vendor and pay for a fee.