what color sand goes with blue? vanity question

Crazyfishlady

I found this on ebay  http://www.ebay.com/itm/SubstrateSource-Sand-3-pounds-Many-uses-Freshwater-Aquarium-/331349421528?pt=Decorations&var=540542409162&hash=item4d25f6edd8

There is a color chart. I am trying to find a cap that will show the soon-to-be blue velvets the best so I can sit and stare at them and not wonder where they are.

I've googled and youtubed and it seems the almost terra cotta/clay color shows the blues the best?

I'm thinking of the tan shown here but thought I would get opinions.

inert - they are neos, but just for something that will help them show us easier :) It's nicer when they don't get lost in the color of the substrate.

Also - is there down sides to sand? I have never used it before. I normally just use floramax but really like the sand look and want to try some.

I'm afraid that tan will be that 'natural stone' like this http://www.petsmart.com/supplies/gravel-sand/top-fin-premium-aquarium-gravel-zid36-17571/cat-36-catid-300072?var_id=36-17571&SelectionCacheKey=25+Lb%7CClassic+Beach%7C&_t=pfm%3Dcategory  which is NOT what I want

I think either the tan or dark tan are good options.  I actually have that gravel you linked to.  If you don't want the natural stone look, then maybe try the dark tan.  I see a lot of shrimp tanks with akadama.  If you're going for that type of look I think the tan is a better match.  Here's the link to the website http://www.substratesource.com/?p=home.  You can buy samples for $1 if you want to see them first hand, also there are better blown up pictures on the website.

Vinn do you have a link to your suggestion? Eva - thank you! I do like the tan. I have the natural gravel in my betta tanks and love the look, just wanting something that will help show the blue velvets and the natural stones have so many colors I figured they would get lost in them

Thank you both!

I have sand in all my tanks, and the shrimp liked to pick at it. I've used both Tahitian MoonSand (black) by CaribSea and plain pool sand (light tan). If you like to plant in the tank, the roots can move through it easily as well, though I've heard those soils you're looking at are good for plants. Sounds like either way you should be good.

the tihitian moon sand is beautiful .. its shimmery. I think it would look great against blue.  I had it in my large fish tanks with Blue rams and the combination of the shimmery blue rams and the sparkly sand was striking.   

It is very hard to see the blue against black. I had black sand in my Blue Dreams tank and even with a decent LED light it was hard to see them. I just put a cap of an off white sand and it has made a huge difference. Now I can see them no matter where they are.

post-555-0-87412100-1421086615_thumb.jpg

It is very hard to see the blue against black. I had black sand in my Blue Dreams tank and even with a decent LED light it was hard to see them. I just put a cap of an off white sand and it has made a huge difference. Now I can see them no matter where they are.

I like your look.

Is that pool filter sand?

How does the grain size compare to black sand? It looks bigger. Which I really like.

I tried to get some PFS at local store, and it was going for $10/50lb. Thought people were paying more like $4-5.

For OP's question - I think the blue shrimps would look great against the brown color, and the few plants I have seem to do well growing in sand. The moss doesn't care ;)

I like your look.

Is that pool filter sand?

How does the grain size compare to black sand? It looks bigger. Which I really like.

I tried to get some PFS at local store, and it was going for $10/50lb. Thought people were paying more like $4-5.

For OP's question - I think the blue shrimps would look great against the brown color, and the few plants I have seem to do well growing in sand. The moss doesn't care ;)

You are better off getting PFS from Home Depot or a place like that. LFS is just adding more to the price. I was going to go with PFS but then I found this random bag of garden sand in my plant stuff. It is about the same size grain as 20\40 black blasting sand. Depending on the PFS it would be about the same size but some is a bit more buff in color, which would still look great.

If you end up wanting black I have used coal slag sandblasting sand.  You can get it at most places that sell sandblasting equipment and if I recall recorrectly it runs like $5-8 for 50lbs and the place I got it from had different grain sizes available too.  I will agree though that dark blue doesn't show up well on black in my opinion.

ok - well since my youngest starting talking to me about taking driver's ed and the upcoming football season... pool filter sand for the win! :)

Now I just need some strong meds... ha ha