Biofilm builders...what's your secret?

Rodan76

Maybe i am a worrywart, but i always feel like i don't have alot of biofilm going on in any of my tanks.  I am wondering if anyone has anything special they use or do to make sure the biofilm is more than enough for their inhabitants.  Normally i dose each tank with bacter ae or bw shield once a week and after any wc's.  My lights are timed for about 15 hours everyday.  Anyone have any pointers or special recipes for really getting all your surfaces coated up with the good stuff?

15 hours of light a day? No issues with algae? I dose 3/4 scoop bacter ae every other day and have lights on 8 hours a day and my shrimp ignore any food I add to the tank. Quite a few leaves (IAL,Papaya,Mullberry), alder cones and chola wood.

15 hours of light a day? No issues with algae? I dose 3/4 scoop bacter ae every other day and have lights on 8 hours a day and my shrimp ignore any food I add to the tank. Quite a few leaves (IAL,Papaya,Mullberry), alder cones and chola wood.

yeah i surprisingly don't have any algae problems in any tanks except one where the sun hits it in the afternoon...

dont mistake biofilm for algae growing on the glass. 2 different things.

Can't agree more with this statement. Bio film doesn't mean algae and algae doesn't mean bio film.

My tank has no algae on the surface of my glass but I do have biofilm. Just want folks to know you CAN have a nice shrimp tanks that's not overly infested with algae. But again theres a difference between mass breeding and display shrimp tanks. My shrimp tanks are display tanks so I put more effort into it. There's no negative correlation (from personal observation) that would indicate a clean tank without presence of algae (on surface of glass) would result in less prolific breeding.

When doing a water change, you'll see a blurriness when looking through the glass. Like looking through clear thin gelatin.

... is that normal for tanks if they do not have anything that would eat it? Do snails eat the same kind of biofilm?

My tanks have green algae on the sides, when I dose products like Bacter AE it clings to the walls the microorganisms populate the algae then the shrimp pick at the algae. I also use leaf litter, driftwood and alder cones they are great surfaces for growing bio film. 

I also keep snails in my tanks for the production of infusoria found in there mucus secretions, Because I believe it contributes to bio film development.

Also the baby shrimp eat the snail slime

They also pick threw the snail poo for microorganisms.

The snail slime contains some really awesome stuff depending on the species of snail they can have multiple glands that secrete different things like, lipids, protein, calcium and glycoproteins.

So who has some ramshorn for sale?  My last assassin snail died - I had him for almost 4 years - so I am thinking maybe old age? Did not want to get any other snails until I did not have any assassin snails.