UV Sterilizer

In your experience Doc, do you think once you started using the UV Sterilizer you had to continue using it - or else the bloom would start back up?  I am experiencing a bacteria bloom in my 10 gallon tank. I ordered a 5 watt one to try.  I sure hope it will work.

In your experience Doc, do you think once you started using the UV Sterilizer you had to continue using it - or else the bloom would start back up? I am experiencing a bacteria bloom in my 10 gallon tank. I ordered a 5 watt one to try. I sure hope it will work.

I remove mine once the bloom has been cleared for a month.

I had one on my large fish tank and loved how crystal clear it kept the water but  the light died and I never fixed it or got a new one.    I wonder if it would help the tank o death... though there have been no deaths this week 

Jadenlea - LOL - I know I found myself starting to snore while I was trying to read it. Some of our more scientist geeks would probably get a kick out of reading it. Here is what I purchased for my 10 gallon:

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B008AJHUME/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Apparently, from what I was able to comprehend from the article, these smaller compact sterilizers will probably act more like water clarifiers - not sterilizers. The clarifiers will clear the water of the bacteria blooms, algae green water blooms, but will not "sterilize" the water so as to prevent disease or parasites.  But for me, I think the water clarifier is okay to start. They will not have any affect on the biological bed that is developed on the filter media, substrate or decorations in the tank.

Here is an interesting article that explains the use of UV Sterilizers:

http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/aquariumuvsterilization.html

Okay, I literally cannot finish reading that article. Does he not realize that he sounds like a complete quack? He might be right, but he does not sound trustworthy.

Read the article on the bus ride to work. Seems to me he is saying the main problem with common/cheap sterilizers is that the flow rate is generally too high so there isn't enough water contact with the bulb to actually kill bacteria but will help control algae.

The second point that caught my attention was the space between the bulb and the sidewall of the sterilizer (where the water flows) is too great so the intensity becomes too weak for bacterial/virus control.

Some of the other points and equations used are then made sort of useless (such as the flow rate per watt ratio) as the author then says it all depends on the actual design (and proper placement) of the unit itself.

The article is hard to read as it jumps around alot so I feel like it's updated a lot and some of the original main thoughts are lost.