Seneye

The reef version is listed at $199 USD which includes light spectrum analyzer, PAR, LUX and Kelvin light levels on top of the freshwater parameters.  The freshwater version is listed at $139 USD and monitors temp, water level, pH, NH3 (free ammonia) and light level %.

I should have thousands of dollars of shrimp in each of my tanks so a small investment to have constant monitoring doesn't seem like much.

only bad thing i see is that most of us have multiple tanks and thats a huge investment for each tank! 

In your case, I would just get the freshwater version and stick it in your sump.

Most people would only need the freshwater version, only serious planted tank keepers would need the reef version.

wow that is really neat. I wonder why the fresh water one doesnt do ammonia??   Thats one of the main things to monitor.    I dont see that it does gh, kh and tds  though.. maybe Im missing it

It says it does.

I think I'm happy with my tank *not* quacking at me when I'm away at work and can't fix whatever problem it thinks it has. I was definitely tempted for the PAR meter, though - and yes, I do have very bad multiple tank syndrome, but I could always use it primarily during setup and initial cycle, then stick it long term in whichever tank has the most delicate inhabitants. Light levels are the trickiest part of planted tanks to fine tune.

pretty neat idea although it will need to be hooked up to computer unless you get the server + WiFi unit which cost more than the Seneye unit.  But pricing is not bad for the seneye unit itself.  I just got an email from one of my suppliers so i might bring one in to test out.  

Like with printers, I think they get you on the consumables though.  the "Slides" are required if you want to monitor ammonia and PH and needs to be replaced monthly.  They also tie their online monitoring and alert services to the slides so it works out to be around $11 a month.