Treating Bacterial Infection in Tiger Shrimp

OblongShrimp

Has anyone found a good way to treat a bacterial outbreak in Tiger Shrimp?  I lost most of my main colony over the last month or so.  The shrimp appear cloudy and then are slowly dying off. 

I've experienced this with my last OEBT colony. Same thing happened. Cloudy bodies that slowly caused them to drop like flys. I've read that you can save the colony by moving them from the tank and doing a h2o2 drip. As for the tank, you'll need to trash it and restart new. When I found out, all my OEBT were dead so I never got a chance to try it myself.

How did it happen? For me, it happened when I added blue velvets who were carriers of the bacterial infection.

This may sound simple, throw in some alder cones in the tank with out soaking them first, then let the tannins work there magic. Idk what temperature your keeping them at if it's above 73 try lowering a few degrees. Add some type of probiotic/immune system booster product to the tank, preform small wc every few days.

The tank is probably in the 60's since it is in my basement.  I don't really know why it started, I probably shared a net between tanks but it is the only tank I am having a problem with. 

Any info about how to do a H2O2 drip?  Any antibiotics anyone has found effective?

I use a 6% hydrogen peroxide mixture - same one I use for my oxydator. 1ml per gallon daily for two weeks.

I use it along with betagluten / mosura tonic pro and fluvic acid powder / IAL.

It seems to do a good job of preventing it from spreading but doesn't really treat it once the shrimp is in the advance stages. Removing any dead shrimps immediately helps as well

I use a 6% hydrogen peroxide mixture - same one I use for my oxydator. 1ml per gallon daily for two weeks.

I use it along with betagluten / mosura tonic pro and fluvic acid powder / IAL.

It seems to do a good job of preventing it from spreading but doesn't really treat it once the shrimp is in the advance stages. Removing any dead shrimps immediately helps as well

Does the peroxide help as a prevenative measure as well?

Does the peroxide help as a prevenative measure as well?

yes and no, it suppose kill bacteria, good and bad.. so probably not best to use it unless you have an infection 

Forgot to mention Seachem Paraguard as well. Similar to hydrogen peroxide it needs to be dose daily as it doesn't stay in the water past 24hr. You will also need to dose for about 10-14 days.

Most people do 1/2 the recommended dosage for the first while before ramping up to full dosage

I tried using erythromycin already and it didn't seem to help.  The tank is basically dead at this point anyways so I might as well try the H2O2....what can it hurt :) 

I would stay away from H2O2.

5mL of it killed the whole tank

as with the oxydator solution you have to make sure you use food grade hydrogen peroxide; not sure if the run-of-the-mill H2O2 you get at grocery and pharmacy stores is considered fish / shrimp safe.  I pick mine up from a local natural food store as it is used as a natural household cleaning product.  I used 35% food grade hydrogen peroxide which I further dilute to 6%.  For me, I always have a batch because I use the 6% mixture for my oxydators.

welcome to my world.  If you cure it let me know how!     Ive tried water changes,  huge ones and small ones,   Paraguard,  removing  all the moss from my tank,  changing filter media.    the water changes slowed down the deaths ALOT but when I stop for a few days the deaths begin again.    

My next step is buying a uv sterilizer and trying that.  The tank is gorgeous..  there are so may plants   and my purple sand.  It will kill me to start over and throw it all away so Im willing to try anything.   

welcome to my world.  If you cure it let me know how!     Ive tried water changes,  huge ones and small ones,   Paraguard,  removing  all the moss from my tank,  changing filter media.    the water changes slowed down the deaths ALOT but when I stop for a few days the deaths begin again.    

My next step is buying a uv sterilizer and trying that.  The tank is gorgeous..  there are so may plants   and my purple sand.  It will kill me to start over and throw it all away so Im willing to try anything.   

I am going to pick up a Twinstar Shrimp for my Tiger tanks; it is suppose to be similar to an UV sterilizer but the added benefit of algae control so i am curious how it will stand up to the rigor of my summer heat waves which almost always bring with it bacteria infections in my Tiger tanks 

UV sterilizers do algae control. I just googled twinstar shrimp and and not seeing much info about it.  nothing that mentioned bacteria.  Ill look more when I get home though!  

Ya, it seems like it has a similar effect as dosing H2O2, but if it gives one less thing to do everyday and prevent bacterial infections it is worth a try in my books.

I can get then thru my ADA distributor so pricing is not too bad.

It looks like marycin 2 is just tetracycline and I have some around my house somewhere.  I will give that a try and see if that works. 

Iv heardpretty goodsuccess rates in tiger tanks kept almost as black water tanks, tons of ial catappa bark and excessive sponge cleaning.

It seems instead of breeding for strong genetics the tiger breeders focused mainly N looks. Which is a certain possibility of why so many people lose colonies now

Oblong, 

Did you start the tetracycline yet?   I just want to say, that I may be wrong that the Paragard didnt  cure my infection.    I had deaths after I used it, but it may be that the shrimp were already to far gone.  I noticed something last night.   2 of my carbon Rili that had turned cloudy, are no longer cloudy and I have had no deaths in about a week.  Today my large female looks even better than she did last night . 

I did 6  days of Paragard, a 20 percent water change and added my purigen back in.   I  stopped changing the water after that and had just decided to see what would happen so there has been nothing but top offs in a couple weeks.  

I can't swear its cured but I am shocked to see that those 2 carbons which I had just accepted as dead have regained their clear blue bodies.  

Today I bought a uv sterilizer.  It is just the green killing machine, but it does claim to work on bacteria so I am going to install that tomorrow and let it run for a couple weeks... maybe a month.   

Lets keep eachother posted.  

I may have paragard too.....I haven't started the tetracycline yet.  I am also looking into some other antibiotics to see if I should try one of them instead.