Need Advice, how to safely lower PH in establish tank.

Hey guys,

I've recently ran into an issue with one of my tanks and would like to hear your advices about lowring ph in an established tank.  I have an 3.5 gallon tank that  contains a few mishclings and one panda taiwan bee.  This tank has been set up for almost 1 1/2 year.  It seems that my mixed ada amazonia/malaya has finally lost it's buffering capabilities.  I just checked the ph and it is around 8.0. I would like to transfer the  shrimps from the 3.5g into my 20 gallon tank.  The 20g tank has been running for the last 2months and it is now fully cycled. The PH in my 20g is 6.0 and PH in the 3.5g is 8.0.  How do i transfer the shrimps over without shocking them due to high PH swings?

thanks all,

kon

should i saftely lower the ph in my 3.5g until it matches the 20g tank first then transfer the shrimps into my 20g tank?  if so, what is the rule of thumb when lowering ph?  how much ph can i lower before my shrimps reaches their threshold? I was thinking about using Fluval Peat Granules or Peat moss to lower the PH in my 3.5g.

thanks for your advice guys.  I just added some driftwood 2 days ago.  Havent seen any changes yet.  As for DRIP ACCLIMATING...what would you reccommend on the time frame to drip acclimate from a PH of 8.0 to 6.0? should this be done over 3hrs? 5hrs? days? 

What about small water changes with distilled water right from the grocery store if you dont have access to RO water. ?  you could change a half gallon each day and have it down in a week I bet

May I ask how come the ph started to creep up? I've have a tank using ADA Amazonia and it's roughly 2 years old and the pH for that tank is still holding strong. I'm still between the 6.6-6.8 range. I do waterchange with pure rodi + mineralizer which I think helps extend the life of the substrate.

Do you do the same?

My situation was a bit different.  I  used 100% Tap water the first year when I had my Malaya Shrimps and I think it used up alot of the buffering abilities.  My TAP water's PH is really high, i just checked a couple days ago and it's at PH 8.3.

why not you try out and let them live in the 8.3ph conditions and see how the malaya shrimps fare? mine is around 7.6ph and they have started breeding. 2-3 were berried and i use those normal reef sand inert. no active substrate nor chiller too. malaya are quite hardy and breed easily as long your tank is matured and healthy. i also heard of others telling me that when your tank is matured etc, the ph usually will drop just a wee bit probably by 0.5-1.0 (im not sure how true that is though). but since u mentioned your tank been running for a year, logically speaking should be pretty matured already.

@ pictokid1983 .

i dont' have malaya shrimps in that tank anymore. I know the malaya shrimps are hardy...thats why i used 100% TAP water for a year with the malaya shimps. I then decided to remove the malaya shrimps and go with mischlings and a TB panda in there(using 100% RO water). Fast forward 6months, my substrate now has lost it's buffering abilities. and because of that, I don't think my mischlings and panda TB will survive 8.2ph water for a long period of time....

@Greenteam

i wasn't going to fix the old tank up. I just wanted a way to acclimate the old tank's PH to match my new tank before transferring the shrimps over to my new tank. Once that is done, I can replenish the old tank with new substrate.

• 3 months later...

I will drip acclimating the whole old tank with the water from new tank.

for couple days. once pH of both tanks are close, then move it to new tank.