co2 diy

TheGardenofEder

When I was a kid I used a soda bottle, water, yeast, sugar, and some air hose to make co2 for my plant project and I found somewhere online and they use an air stone and throw it in fish tanks. I have a really nice planted tank with out any co2 and would like to see some outstanding growth. Am I wasting my time making this is there a cheap alternative product that works great. Also any fertilizer I can use that's shrimp and fish safe?

post-1309-0-87963100-1421344346_thumb.jp

DYI co2 will help you plants grow, you'll probably see a bit of faster growth but just a lot of maintenance changing the mixture often.

And you could use fertz but is risky in a shrimp tank so no body ever want to risk it. 

I use a fertilizer made by Borneowild its a small dose of iron and such but i use the minimum. 

I don't use co2 or ferts in my betta or shrimp tank. New to shrimp but I refused to take the risk with the ferts and my bettas so I won't be trying it with shrimp... but that is just me.

I stick to plants that can grow well with some floramax substrate, the lighting I can supply and the natural ferts the critters :)

When I was a kid I used a soda bottle, water, yeast, sugar, and some air hose to make co2 for my plant project and I found somewhere online and they use an air stone and throw it in fish tanks. I have a really nice planted tank with out any co2 and would like to see some outstanding growth. Am I wasting my time making this is there a cheap alternative product that works great. Also any fertilizer I can use that's shrimp and fish safe?

I'm using PMDD on a tank housing snails and malawa.

They are not affected. Still living happy as ever.

At first I thought PMDD was killing my snails but it was my low pH.

i would not use diy co2 in a shrimp tank. there is not a constant out flow of co2 and to easy it is to gas a shrimp. most shrimpers dont even use pressurized co2 in shrimp tanks. just not worth the risk of it to me. now if you wanted to use diy co2 before you get shrimp to make the tank fill in i see no prob with that.

I have the gla v2 I believe it is. It's for a paintball system with a built in solenoid I use on a timer. An hour before lights go on and an hour before the go off to turn on and off I found those time to be optimal for plant uptake.

Diy co2 is ok for beginners, but even then I wouldn't recommend it for Several reason, no constant production of co2. Constant diffuser cleaner and Whiteside residue. If you don't have a bubble counter or second chamber bottle, it's very possible for there to be a leakage of unwanted gunk etc into the tank.

The gla set up with paint ball canister diffuser et. Cost around 180. I use fortin my shrimp tank or used to and had no ill effect but I used them at 1/6 the recommended dose. I have never ran co2 on a shrimp tank, several reasons. There are claims that it shortens shrimp lives, lengthens there gestation periods, low fry survival rates, breeding slws down, aand there growth grate greatly diminishes.