"hardy"

When people say they make their shrimp more "hardy", how exactly do they do it?

Survival of the fittest, I would guess.  They probably let their parameters swing without any effort to maintain them in ideal range.  If they survive, they are now "hardy".

hardy, har, har, har.  I want really hardy crs and goldens that will thrive in ph of 7.2, tds of 150

To my observation, CRS won't breed at pH > 7.

they can live for years, just no breeding.

James - That is what I understand too.  My one adult female did get berried - but she dropped them.  Only carried them about a week.  Hoping for another batch.  If not it's okay.  My ph is 7.2 because I use black sand - did not want to use soil that I would have to replace in 6 months or a year.

James - That is what I understand too.  My one adult female did get berried - but she dropped them.  Only carried them about a week.  Hoping for another batch.  If not it's okay.  My ph is 7.2 because I use black sand - did not want to use soil that I would have to replace in 6 months or a year.

You can add some peat moss in the filter to help you lower it.

Alder cone would work too.

James - I do have lots of alder cones.  If I put peat moss behind my hmf, do you think it would be stable enough. 

If you already did, then it won't fix it.

I gave up and changed the substrate to contro soil. now it's 6.2 right after I fill up the tank.

Yeah, I am thinking I should do that - I think I would like a nice fancy 20 gal set up for the living room - but I have to convince the SO that I really need it.