what is wrong with this shrimp? yikes

I have 3 yellows - random from a LFS and I've had them for a few months.

One is bright/butter yellow. The other less yellow with a strip down the back and one nearly clear. I noticed today that the nearly clear one seems to have some white things inside him/her. Not eggs, at least not where eggs should be, but a lot of them. I tried to get a good pic but this is the best I can do.

The other two do not have this.

What is it and what can I do please!? It's the clearish one on the right

post-507-0-03730600-1421517197_thumb.jpg

post-507-0-25726800-1421517200_thumb.jpg

I am not sure, I have been trying with a magnifying glass and the camera all morning :( this one hardly ever is out where I can see so that makes it harder. The other two strut around and I have inspected them and nothing seems out of the norm with them.

Well it has gotten worse :( I pulled the shrimp out (the other two still look fine). I've tried everything to get a real good pic, but with my limits, this is the best I can do. The white "stuff" is not all through the shrimp and a bit in the head. Oddly it is still behaving 'normal' I guess?

Any ideas? I put a grain of aquarium salt in the tank and I am brewing IAL tea. It's freaking me out

post-507-0-18093700-1421899816_thumb.jpg

post-507-0-56091400-1421899819_thumb.jpg

post-507-0-09096600-1421899822_thumb.jpg

Ok - according to a person on a FB page - it seems to be bacteria infection and not a good one. A possible 'kill the whole colony' kind :( Luckily there were only 3 in the nano tank, including this one.

This one is now in a QT tank by itself, I am watching the other two. 

Since there doesn't seem to be a 'medicine' for it, I'm going to try a betta remedy and see if it helps at all.

Now I have MAJOR guilt... doubting if I should keep shrimp at all... feel like a shrimp killer... Ok.. pity party over... fingers crossed!

Try Seachem Paraguard if you can get it - have heard good things about it. It didn't work for me mainly because the condition was misdiagnosed and left untreated for a while. Had sent photos to the seller and he'd said definitely not bacterial but it eventually wiped the whole colony apart from 2 babies born whilst I was using the Paraguard. If it's only just happened you might be able to save your shrimp.

This is what mine looked like at the time:

1601077_364010303755479_3883334448892215

And don't be beating yourself up like that.    Bacterial infections are so common and it happens to the best shrimp keepers.  Even Oblong just had a post about suspecting one.   Its the plague of shrimping. 

I am ordering paraguard - won't get it until early next week. I'm guessing this guy is pretty bad off as he is literally filled with the white stuff :(  I have him in a 1.5 QT tank with a heavy IAL tea, a few grains of aquarium salt and I put betafix in there .. it is what I had on hand. Betafix doesn't say there is any copper in it and is for bacterial but more for mild fin rot on bettas.

I will learn, just had a moment of guilt pangs. I just want to know... is it something I did? Is there a way to avoid it? If I did something wrong I need to learn from that. I have my 'betta medicine chest' but guess I need to get a shrimp one going.

There is a lot more online about betta sickness than there is for shrimp, that's for sure.

Thanks for the support! It was a momentary emotional guilt trip :)

I'm guessing, since it has progressed so far, that I may not win this battle. I feel bad, but I am trying what I can. I soaked IAL overnight, into a dark...dark tea and added some of that this morning. I'll be doing water changes and adding the betta fix in accordance with the amount of water changes. Put 9 drops in there, so if I did a 50% water change I will add 4 drops after WC

Open to suggestions or "NO don't do that!!" :)

I'm dosing the 2.6 gallon, even though the other two look ok.

Oddly, this little guy/girl is still active and not 'acting' sick

Try Seachem Paraguard if you can get it - have heard good things about it. It didn't work for me mainly because the condition was misdiagnosed and left untreated for a while. Had sent photos to the seller and he'd said definitely not bacterial but it eventually wiped the whole colony apart from 2 babies born whilst I was using the Paraguard. If it's only just happened you might be able to save your shrimp.

This is what mine looked like at the time:

1601077_364010303755479_3883334448892215

How long did you use paraguard for?

I just started using it because my colony of adults are dropping daily. I have this same exact infection. 

How much did you dose per 10 gallon?

I treated half the dose for five days and then a full dose for 2 more.  I figured I couldnt hurt the shrimp anymore than they were hurting already.   I spoke with a vet after that who cautioned using half doses.    I explained my reason for the half doses  (shrimp being sensitive)  His thinking was  that the dose on the bottle is measured for the amount of water so if you do half does, not only are you possibly not getting enough into the water to make a difference but you are also making the bacteria even stronger by making it resistant.    

I guess take that for what it is worth and make your own decision.  

This vet was a fish keeper but had never kept shrimp.

BTW if you have an apple snail, take it out.    My MTS seemed to all survive but my poor beautiful purple apple snail died from the paraguard.  

I treated half the dose for five days and then a full dose for 2 more.  I figured I couldnt hurt the shrimp anymore than they were hurting already.   I spoke with a vet after that who cautioned using half doses.    I explained my reason for the half doses  (shrimp being sensitive)  His thinking was  that the dose on the bottle is measured for the amount of water so if you do half does, not only are you possibly not getting enough into the water to make a difference but you are also making the bacteria even stronger by making it resistant.    

I guess take that for what it is worth and make your own decision.  

This vet was a fish keeper but had never kept shrimp.

BTW if you have an apple snail, take it out.    My MTS seemed to all survive but my poor beautiful purple apple snail died from the paraguard.  

And what did you do to prevent such infection to occur again?

Its only been about 3  weeks Poopians but my cloudy shrimp actually cleared and I have had no more deaths and my Carbons are starting to get pregnant again .  Right now the method I am using to make sure it doesn't  reoccur is  "Holding my breath, crossing my fingers and praying a lot"   

I have also bought a UV Sterilizer that I am going to install this weekend. 

I am not going to add anything new to this particular tank until I am sure its not coming back.  

Since you took him out already,  Is it warm enough there to put him in like a gallon fish bowl and treat just him with paraguard?   

When you say 'warm enough" do you need to have the water at a certain temp for the paraguard? Just curious

Just spoke with Seachem. ParaGuard is NOT invertebrates safe and WILL kill if not dosed lightly. It says dose 5mL per 10gallon but im only dosing 1ml per day as of now. So if you have snails in your tank. Dose lightly before all your snails die and cause crazy ammonia spike. No one wants to remove tons of dead snails. 

I've talked to someone else that is having 'mysterious shrimp death' and she is using kanamycin and already seeing results in less than 24 hours. The problem is that my shrimp is not 'acting sick'. Her's are doing the stumbling around, twitching thing (if I remember correctly but def has obvious behavioral signs). Mine doesn't. It acts normal, eats... is just filled with 'goo' 

I've talked to someone else that is having 'mysterious shrimp death' and she is using kanamycin and already seeing results in less than 24 hours. The problem is that my shrimp is not 'acting sick'. Her's are doing the stumbling around, twitching thing (if I remember correctly but def has obvious behavioral signs). Mine doesn't. It acts normal, eats... is just filled with 'goo' 

Same here. Then it will die eventually. All my shrimps are acting normally then all of a sudden, it just drops down and lays there. Snails start eating it up.

• 3 weeks later...

Just spoke with Seachem. ParaGuard is NOT invertebrates safe and WILL kill if not dosed lightly. It says dose 5mL per 10gallon but im only dosing 1ml per day as of now. So if you have snails in your tank. Dose lightly before all your snails die and cause crazy ammonia spike. No one wants to remove tons of dead snails. 

I've just checked the website and it says they that whilst they do not claim it is shrimp safe they have heard of people who have had good success with it and others haven't. Nowhere does it say that it isn't invertebrate safe - they say it is unclear and they do suggest under-dosing then gradually increasing to full dose if the shrimp are ok. 

Not quite what you appear to have been told Poopians.

I know a few people who have successfully treated bacterial infections with Paraguard