ahh so the glass is for the lid?   cool.   I never thought of that.. I end up buying the glass canopys from "That fish place"   but maybe nexttime Ill look into just buying glass

Just curious. Why do you guys need lids? None of my tanks have lids and the light goes right on top of the tank

tops can help with evaporation, keep some critters in the tank and keep other critters (like a cat with a taste for shrimp and fish) out :)

Some people just like having them. I wish my tanks could go topless, but some snails will go on 'walk abouts' and my cat would love to have shrimp for a snack lol

I would be afraid of what would get in the tank without a lid.  Chemicals  from cleaning,  dog hair, hair spray..  who knows.   I know  lid can't keep it all out  but it just feels safer. 

Hardware stores will cut you double thick glass to whatever size you need.  Then get some 3M command plastic hooks ant attach to the glass for handles.  It will probably cost you less than $15.00.  I had a piece cut for my 6 gallon bookshelf aquarium and between the glass and the hook for a handle, it cost me $8.00

I went the dolllar a gallon route and bought a 10g then bought the allglass top for it.  I have used Lexan on my rimless which works well and I could cut it myself.  Having glass cut local is also very inexspensive and practical for odd sized tanks.

So I am sitting here with my dad and he is looking at that DYI link.    He has a good question.    that glass goes from end to end.  How would you put your filter, air house, wires, heater ect in?     

how much was it Green?

I took down all the prices at Lowes when I was there. What size do you need?

Also, look around on youtube, saw at least one vid on how to make a sliding type cover. I like Shrimpin' Granny's idea of the command hook , I have some clear ones I think would look great.

I'd like to know: how accurate are the cuts when done at Lowes? And then, can you use some type of dremel attachment to smooth the edges?

They have a large industrial blade to cut, but the best part about THEM cutting it is if they crack or chip the glass they get a new panel and start over (unlike mistakes made at home with handheld cuter lol).

I never had issues with the edges but if you really wanna smooth it out use a fine grade sand paper and lightly go over the edges. If you do this I would advise to do it outside and wear some type of eye protection and one of the cheap paper paint mask to avoid breathing is small sand like particles.

Like I said I have never sanded the ones they cut but it's up to you.

Ideally you would want thinker 1/4 to1/2 inch depending on tank size lexan to prevent bowing, it also has the advantages of being able to be cut and drilled to make room for airlines/filtration hoses or ventilation.