Skrimps dying! (need help)

d3r

Im sure you get this topic all the time..but id appreciate it if you help out one more time!

Ive been keeping fish for 4yrs now and have gotten it pretty well figured out.

stumbled upon dwarfshrimp a while ago and did some research...every where I read said how easy,low maintenance and hardy cherry shrimp are.

so I pulled the trigger...ordered 20 cherry shrimp. cleared a 55gal to house them in til I get a smaller permanent home for them.

theyre dying off randomly now and I need to know what to adjust. I got them thursday. And by today (sunday) im down 6. And the remaining 14 are not moving.

Its a 55gal tank which housed guppies (2 sponge filters that have been cycled for 2months)

Temp is 76degrees.

bare bottom but theres décor for them to climb on.

I w/c 30% weekly using seachem prime (when it housed the guppies. Havent done a change yet since it's had the shrimp)

Ammonia is 0ppm

Nitrite is 0ppm

Nitrate is 5ppm

lights on 6-8hrs a day.

Fed them Hikari algae wafers..they seemed to eat fine. Took the excess wafer out after an hr.

im on my way to get a copper test kit sometime today as I read copper is a big killer.

I admit I went In over my head too quickly..need some expert advice to bail me out.

I think my ph test is expired..ill pick up another one once I get the copper test.

a sheet came with the shrimp explaining how to acclimate them. I use the airline drip method with fish.. but the sheet told me to put them in a bowl and every 5mins(for an hr) add 2tbsp of the tank water they were going in.

thats what I did.

they were very active on day one. Then did a complete 180.

Hmm I looked at the wafer pack n didnt see copper. Also just looked at the food I was feeding the guppies and didnt see copper on it either. Im heading out to get the tests right now. Ill report back soon.

thanks for the replies!

Hmm I looked at the wafer pack n didnt see copper. Also just looked at the food I was feeding the guppies and didnt see copper on it either. Im heading out to get the tests right now. Ill report back soon.

thanks for the replies!

Ok so..

copper 0ppm

ph - 7

Kh - using the api kit..needed 4 drops to change. So I calculate that to 71.6ppm?

Gh - only slightly changed a yellowish green on 12 drops so I calculate that to be 214.8ppm?

(Ive never done these kh and gh tests before so idk how accurate they are. Ive owned them for 2yrs..idk what their shelf life is)

Ask the person who sold you the shrimp, what there GH and TDS are.

If there's a big difference between theirs and yours, chances are the shrimps are dying because they can't molt properly. Neos tend to molt within a few days once introduced to new water parameters.

I keep mine at 3 KH 8 GH

Are my parameters too bad?

I emailed the retailer to see what his params are.

so the deaths could be caused by our params being too different? Even though theyre both in the acceptable range?

the shrimp wont eventually acclimate to my params? Or will they just keep dropping like flies.

I dont really know what to do at this point. Hmmmm.

I do have a 10gallon free. Should I scoop up the remaining shrimp and fill the 10gal with RO water? Will that help?

alright. Ill do that.. set up the 10gal. Fill it 80% with their current water. 20% ro water.

then test.

then drip acclimate the remaining shrimp and hope it works out.

What are the ideal params? I think mine within reason except for GH right?

Or should I not take from the water theyre currently in and start from scratch..incase something is wonky in the 55gal water?

80% new clean tap water (treated with prime) and 20% ro water?

sorry I ask too many questions haha im just lost.

^ right. The temp is 73 in the "new" tank. And slowly dropping.

Ph is the same.

kh is the same.

Gh is questionable. ..

Im fairly certain my GH test is no good.. its supposed to turn orange after the first drop..but it turns pale yellow. Then darkens as I add more. Doesnt turn green like its supposed to...put over 30 drops in just for laughs and stayed yellow.

Anyway.. gonna drip acclimate the shrimp soon. Cross your fingers!

^ right. The temp is 73 in the "new" tank. And slowly dropping.

Ph is the same.

kh is the same.

Gh is questionable. ..

Im fairly certain my GH test is no good.. its supposed to turn orange after the first drop..but it turns pale yellow. Then darkens as I add more. Doesnt turn green like its supposed to...put over 30 drops in just for laughs and stayed yellow.

Anyway.. gonna drip acclimate the shrimp soon. Cross your fingers!

Are you shaking after every drop for GH?

Welp.. 13shrimp left out of an original 20.

Set up the new tank with 20%ro water. And 80%tap water. Params are the same with potential lower GH. Temp is 70degrees.

I let the shrimp acclimate extremely slow.. drip method for 2.5hrs

going to bed now... cross your fingers theres no deaths in the morning!

^Remin RO?

So no new deaths since last night. They all seem to be atleast 75% better..moving. .swimming and not dying LOL not QUITE as active as when they first arrived.

I also went out and bought new test kits.

tested the 10gal.

copper - 0ppm

KH - 4

GH - 5

Temp- 69degrees

Also tested the 55gal they were originally in:

Copper - 0ppm

KH - 4

GH - 8

Temp - 77 degrees

so what do you guys think the issue was? The high GH? Or the high temp? Bare tank?

I want to figure it out so I can plant the 55gal and put the skrimps back in eventually.

Thanks so much for all the help.