Berried BlueBolt Turning Bluer

RyeGuy411

So my berried BB had decent blue but now that it is berried it is turning really blue.  She is around 12 days berried and she is turning like blue berry blue, its really quite beautiful. I was told by Mayphly that this happens so I was expecting it but not quite as dramatic as it is.  My question is why do they turn more blue? Is it hormonal, or nutrients in their bodies?  I have actually stopped feeding this tank about two weeks ago. The bio film is pretty epic and they seem to have lost most interest in prepared shrimp foods.  I will update with a pic tonight if I can get a good shot of her.  I just really noticed how blue she has gotten in last couple days this morning when I was on my way out the door.

This happens pretty often with berried females. I'm unsure if it has anything to do with their hormone levels incurring during pregnancy, but their colors dramatically increases during this time.

It's been mentioned that shrimp colors is linked to estrogen levels. Maybe during pregnancy, females experience an increase in their estrogen levels which increase their colors.

Yeah I was curious if anyone knew the actal scientific reason for it.  I am considering quiting work and becoming a full time shrimp researcher to answer all these questions.

i think its pretty common for shrimp to darken up while holding eggs. not sure why but mine always did. my tb's never berried but i know crs would get a deeper red and more solid white. my red tiger's strips would almost glow when they were berried, and my oebt would look black when berried. my orange, yellow, and blue rili would get more intense color too. i think of it like how people say women "glow" when pregnant shrimp do the same thing lol